The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Safari 4 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Within reason, I don't care much how my browser looks. OmniWeb, Firefox, and Safari are all acceptable.

Faster is nice, but I'm limited by Internet speed. Also, with it so easy to load commonly viewed sites in the background in OmniWeb's various workspaces, speed is seldom an issue for me with OmniWeb. Safari has nothing like workspaces.

Ad blocking is more thorough in OmniWeb: by URL, but third party, and by size. And where that interferes with rendering a valuable site (my broker, my bank, my clients), I can turn it off site by site by site. Safari has nothing like that.

So far, it seems that Safari STILL cannot save my open windows and tabs between sessions (way behind OmniWeb and even Firefox), even in ONE workspace!

Today I tested migrating my 1500+ bookmarks from OmniWeb to Safari. No problems. So with that escape route available, I'll stick with OmniWeb to the bitter end. For me, Safari and Firefox don't come close.

I'll be missing OW, and the workspaces, and the site specific preferences, but Safari 4 is so much better in everything else... o_0

i am just trying to get a handle on the claim that safari4 doesn't have memory leaks...and this is beta software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghil View Post
I'll be missing OW, and the workspaces, and the site specific preferences, but Safari 4 is so much better in everything else... o_0
The most important feature of Safari 4 beta is the amazing increase in Javascript performance which can be easily implemented to Omniweb easily when that engine is out of beta (or even earlier in sneaky peek).

People would talk about that cover flow thing etc. but ignore the under the hood magic (which is now called nitro).

Everything (not just omniweb) will benefit from it down to Nokia phones running webkit for example.

It also doesn't have vertical tabs.

Quote:
Ad blocking is more thorough in OmniWeb: by URL, but third party, and by size. And where that interferes with rendering a valuable site (my broker, my bank, my clients), I can turn it off site by site by site. Safari has nothing like that.
You should look into GlimmerBlocker then. Runs as a proxy, so works with all browsers (I use it mostly for Safari). Not only offers subscriptions (which you can create yourself; I subscribe to my home subscription at work) for ad blocking but also CSS modification, javascript transforms, etc. Has whitelisting. Also - and this is handy - can scan pages as you view them for "suspects", usually ad Flash or JS, that you can the make into a rule with one click. Fairly extensive, flexible, and the developer is responsive and frequently updates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrglsmrc View Post
i am just trying to get a handle on the claim that safari4 doesn't have memory leaks...and this is beta software?
I think the point was that even though it is beta software it leaks less than the release version of OW.