The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: On which store would you buy OmniFocus for the Mac ?
Omni store 6 100.00%
Apple Mac App Store 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Mac App Store or Omni Store ? (answer not found...) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

This is my first post as I am still evaluating OmniFocus for Mac (while already bought the iPhone/iPad apps). Please bear with me !

OK, so I am hooked to OmniFocus now and I really look forward to buy it.
The problem is that I don't know if I should buy from the Mac App Store or the Omni Store. So I searched and searched again without finding THE answer to this dilemna.

As far as I get it :
  • Mac App Store
    Pay once, get free updates for future versions
    No access to betas
    Problems with many scripts
  • Omni Store
    Pay now and then pay for major upgrades (knowing that 2.0 may not be that far away)
    betas for the people
    flawless scripts

Did I miss anything ?
I am some kind of a techie so fiddling with the scripts to get them to get over and work with the MAS version is not a huge problem but the betas are just my world (iOS 5 anyone ?)

So please let me know your point for chosing an option or the other.
I still have 11 days left on my trial version (I got 14 more days from the support ninjas which is just great by the way).

That said, thanks for reading all this from the French guy that I am (excuse my French...)

Regards

I may be wrong, but it is not my interpretation that the major upgrades will be free to Mac App Store customers ...

(It doesn't look like a sustainable business model, for a start ...)

As I understand it, it is simply that the minor (free) upgrades will be handled automatically by the MAS system. Even if you buy through the MAS (and thereby burden yourself with the variant bundle identifier) you will still have to pay for the major upgrades ...

You will also be excluded from the betas ...

(I have to smile at this acronym because MAS/maas/amasi is a fermented milk drink in South Africa ...)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-06-30 at 11:39 AM..

Well, at this time (AFAIK), none of the Apple online Stores (Mac or iTunes) has a mechanism for a paying update.
To make a user pay again, it must be a newly submitted app and I have not heard yet of a company going this way.
I contribute to an app that is sold on the MAS and the main developper confirmed me that.

Can anyone confirm ? Maybe the Omnigroup can can jump on this and clarify it for anyone to know ? Maybe OmniFocus 2 will be released as a new app on the MAS ?

That is my main area of concern to be honest with that bundle identifier problem again.

Thanks !

If you're in Australia, you buy it from Omni as it will cost you about AUS$72. If you buy it from the App Store, you'll pay AUS$100.

I know this is not Omni's fault, but it's SO frustrating, and is definitely limiting the uptake of the App Store in this country.

All the apps are the same, and when our Australian dollar is stronger than the US dollar as it is currently, it's just crazy!

The mechanisms for paying for major additional software development through the MAS are clearly not yet resolved - hence I would guess, the difficulty for Omni in offering a simple response here.

Economically, however, the necessity of paying additional sums for major upgrades is effectively inescapable (short of a halt to further development).

Underpriced tickets to an unlimited stream of future values, financed only by the need to make continuous new sales to late-coming aspirants to the status of "life members" ... well, this we have seen before ... It is essentially a variant of the Ponzi/Madoff model, and it never lasts long ...

(The market for new takers saturates, and then things begin to unravel).
This is not, I think, the course that things will take ...

At the moment the iTunes/MAS model is that any major new development has to be a new product which you simply have to purchase anew without any upgrade discount at all. People have been willing to put up with this for the small $5 values, but there will clearly be resistance with products that are in a significantly higher price range ...

I think it is unlikely that the MAS will turn out to be a cheap ticket to the land of cockaigne ...

The greater danger, at present, is that it lacks the mechanism for giving you any discount whatsoever when you want to buy the next version ...

Very good point.
Actually, my thinking was not far from yours and so, just before reading your post, I bought OmniFocus on the Omni Store.
I do enjoy supporting developpers as every one does but my monthly income is not so high so questions like upgrade fees are key for me to get a software or not.
That said, OmniFocus seems to help me a lot after the extended trial so I am now betting that the ROI will be very good ! (That is mainly a way for me to make my brain think I have to buy software... I have to admit that)

So I leave this thread to others now as we'll see how the MAS goes in the future. And so I am off to the poll...