The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

no Mac, iPod Touch only: Should I consider OF ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I searched but didn't see the answer to what I was looking for, so here goes: I spend most of my time working in Windows, but have heard about OmniFocus in my GTD studies. Is it possible to apply GTD via OF without having a Mac ? I have an iPod Touch and access to wi-fi throughout the day, and would like to be able to work when I am without wi-fi.

No need to re-invent the wheel. I think this has probably been answered, so if you can point me towards any relevant threads I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help (& advice).

Hi Traveler

I'm afraid that I don't recommend OmniFocus as a standalone App (especially to PC users), although I know that other Members of this Board disagree with me.

A couple of my reasons are:

If you record audio or take pictures within the App they are stuck there without the Mac-only desktop program.

You have to create Perspectives in the desktop program and then sync them to the iPhone client before you can use them within the App, you cannot create them directly using OmniFocus for iPhone.

There is no share function, ie. you cannot email or social network any of your Actions, Projects, Contexts, etc.

OK, if none of the above have any importance to you, then by all means give it a try. The Omni Group generously offer a 30-day money back guarantee so if it doesn't work out it won't cost you anything.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-03 at 03:25 AM..

As I've written elsewhere on this forum:

---
I'm having an amazing time using OmniFocus only on my iPod Touch (I have a PC desktop). I have almost 2,500 actions, although I guess that includes completed items as well.

---
I only use OmniFocus on my iPod touch. I do not have a Mac. I am currently over 2,000 actions/items. I have created an online tool that allows me to quickly enter in many items into OmniFocus at once (or rapid fire).

You need to be careful to escape special characters, such as ampersands and apostrophes, but it has saved me countless hours, and makes it possible to use OmniFocus ONLY on my Touch.

Give it a try:

http://www.jeffyepstein.com/docs/com...ort/index.html

---

So anyway, I highly recommend OF for only your iPod Touch. Do not be afraid. Join us. :)

I think this is the link you mean:

http://www.jeffyepstein.com/docs/com...e_mass_import/

That's a clever trick! Works fine with the desktop if running the 1.8 sneaky peeks, though I'm not sure why you'd want to use it on the desktop...

I am surprised I messed up my own link, and even more surprised you figured out the right one :)

Glad you like it whpalmer. iOS sometimes causes the mass import script to not work (double translates everything), but it has been invaluable to me.