The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Printing question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In the standard version, I created an outline and increased the whole document's font-size to 18 to make it more readable. Several levels have rows that contain more than one line for an item.

When I printed the document, portions of those rows were truncated on the right. I noticed that I can avoid that problem by activating "Scale to fit page width"; however, I don't want that to happen because it shrinks the text size. Is there any way I can set a right margin (e.g., at 7") so that it will print correctly and included all my text without reducing its font-size or truncating anything? (I know an alternative is to export my document).

Thanks,
Howard

Have you investigated the ruler? Format->Text->Show Ruler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Have you investigated the ruler? Format->Text->Show Ruler...
My ruler's right margin is set to 7.5 inches on the right as shown in the image below and in my document the lines wrap correctly.

However, in the printout, shown below, the lines do not print correctly, which is unexpected: They're truncated on the right. My paper is 8.5 x 11. How can I get the printout to wrap like my document does?

My font-size is set to 18 pt for readability on the screen.

Thanks,
Howard

Interesting. For me, the printout looks just like the screen. I've attached a copy of my sample file so you can see if we aren't doing the same thing.

Attached Files
File Type: zip test document for writerhoward.zip (1.8 KB, 518 views)

Notice where the zero mark on the ruler is in your screenshot, it's at the start of the text, not the left most position of the document.

Printing is linked to the window size. When scale to fit page width is off, it will print as wide as the window is across however many of sheets are needed. If you resize the window you'll see page boundary indicators appear that you can snap the size to.

If you need anymore help with this just let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Notice where the zero mark on the ruler is in your screenshot, it's at the start of the text, not the left most position of the document.

Printing is linked to the window size. When scale to fit page width is off, it will print as wide as the window is across however many of sheets are needed. If you resize the window you'll see page boundary indicators appear that you can snap the size to.

If you need anymore help with this just let me know!
It seems then that to get my outline to print correctly on an 8.5 x 11 sheet, I should set the paragraph tail symbol where the rightmost page boundary indicator is.

Thanks,
Howard

If you don't set it, it'll be set automatically to the window width. You would only need to set it manually if you wanted to have the window wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Interesting. For me, the printout looks just like the screen. I've attached a copy of my sample file so you can see if we aren't doing the same thing.

In your Omnioutliner document, for the whole document, how did you set paragraph tail indent to 123?