The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

tabs not as useful as could be Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi. I am a new user and am hoping that OmniWeb can replace one of the very very few Windows programs that I miss - an obscure but FANTASTIC web browser called iRider (www.irider.com). For several years it has offered tabbed thumbnails like OW - but in a way that I find much more useful. http://irider.com/irider/DetailedOverview.htm

Obviously I am new to OW but i have not yet figured out a way to get this same behavior. If these features are not available in OW, they should be!

1. EVERY PAGE creates a new tab. Let's say you are browsing bestbuy.com for a new TV or camera. Since every page is a new tab you can quickly jump around from the Panasonic 32" to the Sony 32" and the RCA 32" to the shipping page - all in 4 clicks, not 25 back/back/back/backs. Right now, OW only creates ONE tab for bestbuy so there is no way to jump around within the site without using the back and forward arrows repeatedly.

2. EVERY SITE creates a new tab. Maybe there is a way to do this in OW, but I'm not sure. I understand that if I use Command-Enter, a new tab will open, but what if I click a link from that bar on top (forgot what it's called) or from bookmarks? I would prefer a setting whereby EVERY site/page/link opens a new tab EVERY time, without any keyboard strokes needed. Somehow OW usually overwrites my last thumbnail instead of creating a new one. The default should be to create a new tab (WITHOUT Command-Enter).

It may sound like you get dozens of thumbnails in the window, but usually this is not an issue. Plus you have the option to close an entire site - which might be 10 thumbnails - in one click.

iRider has some other nice features - like you can select a list of links and it opens every one simultaneously, each in a separate tab. But it is the thumbnail-for-every-page behavior that I really miss!

Is any of this in the future of OW - or is it available now and I have missed some settings? Thanks in advance,

Bonnie

Speaking for myself - regarding your first item, I'd really rather that the browser doesn't start opening tabs on it's own. I prefer to right click and open in a background tab.

I'm not sure I understand your example though. Is the browser opening every link it sees on a page in a new tab?

Otherwise, I do seem to recall a plug in, that opened all the links on a page in new tabs... Don't recall where I saw it, or if it was even for OW....

SC

I just want tabs across the top that stay out of the way, and don't cause the window content to reflow horizontally. Argh! It's the one thing about OW that drives me nuts.

I've already submitted feedback on the issue, but please: Omni, please please PLEASE give us some standard tabs (like Safari, Firefox, Camino) in 6.0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcraft View Post
Speaking for myself - regarding your first item, I'd really rather that the browser doesn't start opening tabs on it's own. I prefer to right click and open in a background tab.

I'm not sure I understand your example though. Is the browser opening every link it sees on a page in a new tab?

Otherwise, I do seem to recall a plug in, that opened all the links on a page in new tabs... Don't recall where I saw it, or if it was even for OW....

SC
SC -

I'm sure I am not expressing myself clearly. iRider provide graphical tabs on the left of your window - similar to OW. A key difference is that every page of a site that you visit is a NEW tab - so if you are browsing around bestbuy looking for TVs or cameras, you may end up with 20 tabs open. This is not as bad as it sounds. First, you could close several using the X or a Close Page button on the toolbar. Second, it is actually as ASSET to have these pages open - you NEVER need to go back/back/back/forward/forward/forward to compare 2 products. AND - since you could also have 10 tabs open from circuit city.com, you can very quickly compare products from 2 or more sites. Very handy.

Other features relate to the ability to open several links at once. For one, if your bookmarks contains a subfolder called "Mac tips" with 15 links - you can tell iR to open all 15 links with one click. Then you click up and down the tabs finding what you want.

Also - and I don't use this a lot but it's handy - it has something called surf ahead. - if you google something and there are 5 results you will want to look at, you can right-click on them and each will open in a separate tab and be already loaded when you are ready to look at them. Similarly, if a page has a list of links, you can highlight them and they will open all at once, each in a separate tab.

It seems like I am complaining but quite the opposite. iRider is one of the very few decent Windows programs that does not seem to have a Mac counterpart. OW is the closest I've seen, and I guess I'm asking if some of these features are actually here and I just haven't figured it out yet.

B

That sounds an awful lot like my usual working style in OmniWeb, achieved by simply holding down the cmd key when clicking on a link. Of course, I have to actually change to the new tab at some point, but that seems like a given whenever you've got more than one...

OmniWeb lets you open a whole folder of bookmarks in new tabs by simply clicking the "open in new tabs" choice at the bottom of the list.

As for surf-ahead, I read the Omni Forums by clicking the "new posts" link, then cmd-click on each link in the list that comes back. Now I've got a tab for each thread, and I just mow them down, even offline at times.

I just tap on the Mighty Mouse™ scroll-wheel button to open web pages in new tabs.

Check out my tab implementation:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/...8b79f08c_o.png

CMD+click = new tab from link.

The tabs-side-window is the best item of OmniWeb together with the SNAPSHOT function for the personal workareas to re-order the combination of links you are just working on. In Safari you only have place for about max 7 tabs, in OmniWeb you really can work on your projects, having a lot of tab-windows showing. If you have lots of projects you can arrange several spec. workareas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floach View Post
I just want tabs across the top that stay out of the way, and don't cause the window content to reflow horizontally. Argh! It's the one thing about OW that drives me nuts.

I've already submitted feedback on the issue, but please: Omni, please please PLEASE give us some standard tabs (like Safari, Firefox, Camino) in 6.0!
This has been debated extensively. For little horizontal tabs you'll just have to use another program. Starting with a more narrow window, with space for the tab drawer, and keeping the drawer narrow, might ease the jarring changes. Use a non-autosaving Workspace snapshot of your starting page(s) to set the parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btessler View Post
Hi. I am a new user and am hoping that OmniWeb can replace one of the very very few Windows programs that I miss - an obscure but FANTASTIC web browser called iRider (www.irider.com). For several years it has offered tabbed thumbnails like OW - but in a way that I find much more useful. http://irider.com/irider/DetailedOverview.htm

Obviously I am new to OW but i have not yet figured out a way to get this same behavior. If these features are not available in OW, they should be!

1. EVERY PAGE creates a new tab. Let's say you are browsing bestbuy.com for a new TV or camera. Since every page is a new tab you can quickly jump around from the Panasonic 32" to the Sony 32" and the RCA 32" to the shipping page - all in 4 clicks, not 25 back/back/back/backs. Right now, OW only creates ONE tab for bestbuy so there is no way to jump around within the site without using the back and forward arrows repeatedly.

2. EVERY SITE creates a new tab. Maybe there is a way to do this in OW, but I'm not sure. I understand that if I use Command-Enter, a new tab will open, but what if I click a link from that bar on top (forgot what it's called) or from bookmarks? I would prefer a setting whereby EVERY site/page/link opens a new tab EVERY time, without any keyboard strokes needed. Somehow OW usually overwrites my last thumbnail instead of creating a new one. The default should be to create a new tab (WITHOUT Command-Enter).

It may sound like you get dozens of thumbnails in the window, but usually this is not an issue. Plus you have the option to close an entire site - which might be 10 thumbnails - in one click.

iRider has some other nice features - like you can select a list of links and it opens every one simultaneously, each in a separate tab. But it is the thumbnail-for-every-page behavior that I really miss!

Is any of this in the future of OW - or is it available now and I have missed some settings? Thanks in advance,

Bonnie
These break usability standards and are the dumbest things I've heard for awhile.