The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Good way to sync OO between iPad and Mac Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I keep my many documents on the Omni Sync Server. Before I edit on the iPad, I import a fresh copy from the server. After I edit one, I export it back, and it is ready for me if I need to edit it on my Mac or my other iPad. This is what I've been doing for decades with source code control systems — check out a document, make a change, check it back in. Sure, it would be somewhat easier if I didn't have to do the check in/out, but it is only a problem if I don't have Internet access, a difficulty I also face with DropBox unless I've remembered to mark any files I might possibly need as favorites and update just before going out of wireless range.

Is there something wrong with this workflow? If it doesn't work, i'd like to know now, before I lose something :)

Yes, there is something wrong with it. It requires user action and to remember that you have to save/export your document. That means people actually have to remember to do one thing. t my wrk fr yr mstrmnd bt t s vry rrgnt f y t cnsdr tht n ccptbl wrkflw fr th rst f s. Hw cld y?

Also, while we are on the topic of automation, can we get a functionality built in that writes my text? I need legal documents. If there is no other way I would be willing to provide some basic data (names and such) into a form. But I would rather not. When can you do this? :)

Last edited by Brian; 2011-10-20 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Let's watch the ad-hominems; as always, they'll be disemvoweled.

Is there an FAQ or some set of instructions on exactly how to use Omni Sync Server for OmniOutliner to keep outlines synced between a laptop and an iPad and iPhone? And a description of what OSS can and cannot do?

Thanks ...

It doesn't seem much more complicated than remembering where one left the iPad, but your point is well-taken :D

The automated legal brief and motion composing software has been quite a lucrative sideline for me. Legions of new associates pay me every month to keep the software locked up and prevent their jobs from being made redundant ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric96 View Post

Bottom line, the company needs to provide more clarity on the issue instead of just saying...hey wait for iCloud.
Well... now that iCloud is out, it would be faster for them to develop ONE solution that works (and has 20,000,000 users by now I thought I saw?) rather than implementing 4 different solutions for every use case, no?

Omni Sync Server is just a regular WebDAV server. It's no different from using your iDisk to store files. OmniOutliner for iPad does not provide any additional capabilities like OmniFocus does for syncing. Any methods being used by others are of their own creation and you can probably search for some instructions in this forum.

We're currently working on iCloud support which will provide syncing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It doesn't seem much more complicated than remembering where one left the iPad, but your point is well-taken :D

The automated legal brief and motion composing software has been quite a lucrative sideline for me. Legions of new associates pay me every month to keep the software locked up and prevent their jobs from being made redundant ;)
LOL

That was pure sarcasm :D the Internet is apparently not good for such. No offence intended :)

Seriously, I think your way of doing it, which is my way of doing it, is perfectly reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
Is there an FAQ or some set of instructions on exactly how to use Omni Sync Server for OmniOutliner to keep outlines synced between a laptop and an iPad and iPhone? And a description of what OSS can and cannot do?
Rogbar, check out Myrrh's post earlier in the thread I moved this post to. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Brian; 2011-10-20 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: added direct link to post in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
LOL

That was pure sarcasm :D the Internet is apparently not good for such. No offence intended :)
I was laughing too hard to do anything but play along :)

I understand that omni want us to use their server solution but the truth is that it is seriously sub-par. It is not fast, as they claim it to be, and it annoyingly requires the user to instigate the export and then import of the document in order to be able to work on the file on both the iPad and the mac. really annoying.