The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

hierarchical row numbering - inheritance Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a new OmniOutliner user with a seemingly simple problem that I can not figure out, nor can I find any answers in the manual or in this forum.

I would like to develop an outline with rows automatically numbered hierarchically like this:

1 item 1
-1.1 child 1
-1.2 child 2
--1.2.1 grandchild 1
--1.2.2 grandchild 2
-1.3 child 3
--1.3.1 grandchild 1

etc.

I have not been able to do this. I have selected the "1, 1.1, 1.1.1, …" item from the View/Row Numbering menu for the entire document, but all I can get is an outline that looks like this:

1 item 1
-1 child 1
-2 child 2
--1 grandchild 1
--2 grandchild 2
-3 child 3
--1 grandchild 1

That is, only the "leaf" number of the tree is shown, not the entire numbering hierarchy.

Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks for any help.
.andy

I'm sorry for the confusion this is causing! If you open up the Style Attributes inspector and then select the first row in the document, what appears in the "All Level 1 Rows" or "Selected Row" sections?

More specific styles override more general ones; my guess is that either the Legal heading type is being overridden by another style in one of those categories, or that the Legal style has been applied in multiple places - that would "reset" the hierarchy. In either case, you can remove the unwanted style by clicking the small circle-with-an-X on the right side of the row in the S.A. inspector.

Does that help?

Ok, that was very helpful!

Thanks, that was exactly the problem. I removed all the styles from the lower level rows, then selected the entire column (whole document) and set the legal numbering attribute. All is now as I expected.

Many thanks (and for a tasty tool, indeed).

.andy