The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish: OmniFocus way bigger than GTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thank you Omni-Group for making this offering of Omni-Focus.

To my knowledge, there is no other outlining, cross-referenced database on the market. If taken in the context of Filemaker, which is a customizable program, Omni-Focus could be far more powerful in a broad base of uses that extend beyond GTD. I realize these ideas are long term and macro, but I'd like to hear other users thoughts on ways of expanding this incredible program.
Here are some ways that Omni-Focus could be opened up to more users.

CONTEXTS ALLOWED ON OUTLINE HEADINGS - I understand the specific GTD application of this choice, but not allowing project headings to have contexts is limiting in the larger picture. I can think of many creative instances where contexts (or cross-referenced columns) could be used on headings, for project planning overview, creative writing, stories, songs, idea development.
Not all of GTD involves a physical context, nor is that always most relevant. Part of Getting Things Done creatively is the conceptual aspect of deciding and envisioning a project from the large picture. Contexts on headings could really help with this to expand Omni-Focus into a creative thinking aid.
WISH: Could there be a preference to turn this off, or have the user take responsibility for how outline headings are applied to contexts, rather than limiting the program?

CUSTOMIZABLE COLUMNS - Some times projects involve costs or other organizational perspectives. Like in Omni-Outliner, it would be so useful to enter in costs of items and have them summarized in the outline heading field, or to set up other columns for sorting.

COLUMN VIEWS - It would be incredibly powerful as a program if these customizable fields would have their own views on the left like contexts This may be a programming nightmare, but as I said, I know of no other outlining, cross referenced database on the market. The potential uses to other buyers could be immense.

SUMMARIZED DURATIONS: Like in Omni-Outliner, it sure helps to know the total time of all these project tasks. If this could work in both project view and context view then total estimated times within each context could be easily viewed.

DUE DATES: A fundamental aspect of planning in real life GTD is when exactly will the task or project get done and how much time will it take? WIthout summary in the duration field and without ways of viewing the list by each day of the week or any other due date filter needed, OmniFocus is a bit limited in planning mode. I understand there is due date outlining in context mode and it's useful, but frankly it's a bit crude. When working with "due this week" items, items "due today" are excluded. I can use "due soon" also, which is helpful and customizable in preferences. However, this seems like an important area in need of development.
WISH: Have a preference to customize how due dates are viewed in context mode (Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly etc.) It would also be simple and powerful to have date searches available in the tool bar search box (or a separate date search box), i.e. "February", "1st quarter", "next 60 days", "June - August". For overview planning of multiple projects this would be huge.

Thanks again Omni-Group for opening the forum and program for our testing. Omni-Focus is amazing in concept, it's potential market is huge.

PS My apologies for such a long entry.

Warm regards,

Jim