The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniGraffle Slow Start Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
After installing my new OmniGraffle Pro and starting the application it took about nine (9) minutes. Choosing a new stencil group takes about 4-5 minutes. I followed the suggestion to eliminate the plist, with no effect.

Repeated attempts yield the same results, anywhere up to 11 minutes to have the application open.

If it is relevant, I am experienceing the same problem with OmniOutliner Pro.

Has anyone had similar problems? I am a new user and welcome suggestions.

I am running Tiger fully updated on a MacBook Pro with 3 GB of memory and plenty of free disk space, if that helps.

Thanks.

Tom Baley

Sounds like you ought to take some samples with Activity Monitor and send them along to our ninjas (omnigraffle@omnigroup.com, omnioutliner@omnigroup.com) to figure out where all that time is being spent.

I looked at Activity Monitor while waiting for OmniGraffle/Outliner to open. It was in red and marked : "(not responding)". Once i saw it switch to black for less than a second. Would the Activity Monitor provide information about other threads that would be useful? If so, I will do that tomorrow.

Thanks very much for replying.

Having the same slow start problem with Omnigraffle 5.

But....

Having the same problem with OmniFocus

Starting to wonder if I've got an OmniVirus

Thanks for the extra clue that it also happens in OmniFocus! I think I've tracked this down to some of our common framework code, and fixed it for both apps.

For the curious, the problem was that we were looking up the local hostname using some Cocoa API that does a reverse DNS lookup (which could take a very long time if a reverse DNS entry for your computer didn't exist), and the fix was to look up the hostname using BSD API that doesn't.

You can test the fix by trying the latest daily build of OmniFocus; hopefully we'll push out a new build of OmniGraffle soon as well.