The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New database, want to make sure I'm right before I sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm restarting OF after a hiatus. I don't want to trash my old file, but I don't want to use it right now either. I was previously syncing all three devices (MBP, iPhone, iPad) using Mobile Me. Part of my re-vamp is because I want to use my iPad as my primary device so I am starting from scratch on my iPad and trying not to let the features I know that the desktop has color my thinking about how to use it. I first turned off syncing on my iPad and then did a reset (I think that was the term). I started over with a brand-new database on my iPad. So far, so good. I also set up an account on the Omni server and set up the iPad to sync to it. I then did a reset on my iPhone and got it to sync with the Omni server and have the new DB on the iPhone.

I'm hesitant to make the switch on the Mac. I want to be certain that I'll still be able to access my old file so I can pick from it (at some point) things to integrate into my new system. I know that it'll be on my iDisk (as long as that's around). But I'm unsure about the ability to go back and forth and want to make sure that I don't compromise either my old system or my new one.

Can I just go onto the desktop and switch my sync method and will it ask me if I want to replace my desktop data with the server data (from the Omni Server)? I've got a back up on my Mac plus I've got the database on MobileMe for my old data, right? And then if I wanted to see my old system I'd just change my sync method back or temporarily turn off the sync and restore from backup?

TIA.

I would use File->Back Up Database... on the Mac, and pick a good filename that will make it quite clear that this is your old database. Store it somewhere safe, yet convenient to access. Then I would set the Mac to sync from the Omni Sync Server (which will probably make another backup with a less recognizable name). Add a few actions on the iPad and make sure they sync over to the Mac, and vice versa. The Mac should now be a fully-functional member of the trio.

Whenever you want to go back and look at your old database, just double-click that backup file in the Finder. OmniFocus will open it in a new window, and you can look at it, copy projects or actions to your current database by drag and drop, and so on. OmniFocus is happy to show you multiple databases at once in this fashion. Just make sure you don't make changes to the wrong database. I would NOT use the File->Revert to Database Backup... command to review your old data, as that would (attempt to) inject your old database into your new system, and that is not what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I would use File->Back Up Database... on the Mac, and pick a good filename that will make it quite clear that this is your old database. Store it somewhere safe, yet convenient to access. Then I would set the Mac to sync from the Omni Sync Server (which will probably make another backup with a less recognizable name). Add a few actions on the iPad and make sure they sync over to the Mac, and vice versa. The Mac should now be a fully-functional member of the trio.
Perfect, thanks.

Quote:
Whenever you want to go back and look at your old database, just double-click that backup file in the Finder. OmniFocus will open it in a new window, and you can look at it, copy projects or actions to your current database by drag and drop, and so on. OmniFocus is happy to show you multiple databases at once in this fashion. Just make sure you don't make changes to the wrong database. I would NOT use the File->Revert to Database Backup... command to review your old data, as that would (attempt to) inject your old database into your new system, and that is not what you want.
Great! I didn't know you could have multiple databases open/active. Awesome. Thanks so much.