The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sync failure for Office-iPhone-Home scenario Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidmf View Post
of course, for me this behavior makes the OF desktop/iPHone system completely unusable for anything beyond a providing a simple check-off list (desktop -> iphone).
I've drawn the same conclusion. Syncing between my ipod touch and my two home computers is a mess. Not all the changes on the ipod are reflected on my computer(s). Especially bothersome are changes in dates and contexts made on the Touch. They don't sync. Usually stuff that I check off is eliminated unless it was an action that has a start date that's the same as the day I check it off the phone. Then it remains on the computer(s). In addition, I've got the doubling and tripling of repeated actions too.

I know the above is a bit vague but I just wanted to quickly add my voice before I take off for vacation. Basically, everything that's been described here has happened to me as well.

I just installed 1password on my iphone, they have a "wireless" sync set up, works flawless and quick is there any plan for this in the future, I'm sure a lot of the problems were ALL having have more to do with Mobileme than OF, just a thought......

I've updated to all the latest sneakypeeks & versions (7.29.08) and can report:

Syncing remains a disaster for my (real-world) usage scenario.

The usual - home laptop/iPhone sync ok, looks good, i'm feeling fine. Go to work and sync and see... work OF reports a sync but is synced incorrectly (e.g. date changes not incorporated and items reported overdue that are not).

Force a restore from an iDisk backup copy (stored in a different folder) - great, both iPhone and work OF are synced and up to date.

Make changes on iPhone, sync on work computer - uh oh. Items checked off are not checked off on the work computer. Sync again - get a result that is a 'sort of sync' in which changes made on the iPhone appear to be lost.

Not fun.

True, it's not a complete 'disaster', since stuff does happen. It's just a 'disaster' as a trusted system.

Hypothesis - there are real-world usage situations such that I and others are doing things in an unanticipated way? Only thing I can think of is making changes on the iPhone and shutting down before syncing. What else?

chidmf: It almost sounds like your work machine is syncing to a different place than your iPhone and home machine. Could you double-check that they match?

Yes... they are talking to the same iDisk file. These issues are more subtle than that!

Do you have iDisk syncing turned on in System Preferences on your work computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Do you have iDisk syncing turned on in System Preferences on your work computer?
No I don't have 'iDisk Sync' turned on. I'm using the cloud, only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidmf View Post
No I don't have 'iDisk Sync' turned on. I'm using the cloud, only.
That's an interesting question - should we or should we not have iDisk syncing turned on?

I can see how that might be causing all kinds of issues in trying to keep the local and online copies in sync...

It would seem that if iDisk syncing is turned on, MobileMe is trying to sync the online and local folders and OmniFocus is trying to do the same thing. That could be bad!

We don't have concrete evidence yet, but we strongly suspect that some portion of the syncing misbehavior is caused by having iDisk Sync turned on in System Preferences. So we recommend turning it off if possible.

Yeah - as soon as I posted this I saw the thread on that issue and immediately turned off iDisk Sync on my home machine. I'll disable it at work tomorrow before launching OF and hope that fixes it!