The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can synching be pushed? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I sync OmniFocus from my MBP to my iPhone, it usually takes several minutes. I don't know if that's normal or not, but if it is, is there some way I can push this sync, so I don't have to do it manually?

In other words, can I get OF to sync even before I open the iPhone app?

Also, does it sync only when the iPhone app is open? Can I open the app to start synching and then open another app to work in it while OF synchs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
When I sync OmniFocus from my MBP to my iPhone, it usually takes several minutes. I don't know if that's normal or not, but if it is, is there some way I can push this sync, so I don't have to do it manually?
What part of the process is taking several minutes? What are you using for sync? What does your iPhone report on the OmniFocus settings page for how many projects, actions, and zip files? If you run one of the network speed testing apps available for the iPhone, what results do you get?
Quote:
In other words, can I get OF to sync even before I open the iPhone app?
Not to my knowledge. What would do the syncing (which isn't just wholesale replacement of one file by another, but an active merge) if the iPhone app wasn't active? Remember, both devices can contribute new transactions when a sync is done.
Quote:
Also, does it sync only when the iPhone app is open? Can I open the app to start synching and then open another app to work in it while OF synchs?
Non-Apple apps don't get to run in the background at present, so OF can only sync while it is open. You can turn off the screen and it will continue on, but if you run a different app, it won't.

Rogbar - syncs taking several minutes are not something we'd consider normal. If you try the steps in this thread, do they help?

If not, please email the support ninjas so they can lend a hand.

I don't have quite the same problem (my syncs usually take a little less than a minute for ~250 actions over wifi to MobileMe), but this is still much too long to wait to get updated. If I'm out doing errands and I'm on Edge, it's just not even worth trying. Having updates pushed throughout the day would just be amazing. Is there any way for this to happen?

I agree that is too long to wait -- your syncs are taking much longer than they should! I've have thousands of actions, and a sync typically takes about 10 seconds with MobileMe from my iPod Touch. Get that straightened out with the support ninjas and you'll be much happier.

Who or what is going to be changing your database on the desktop such that you need the changes pushed out to your iPhone when you are running errands?

I sent a message to support to see if I can speed up the sync time. I guess 10 seconds wouldn't be to bad. The thing is that I make a lot of changes on my laptop throughout the day, and usually when I take out my phone, I don't have time to sit and wait for it to sync. Usually I'm at a store trying to remember what I need to pick up or something. I know I could sync when I'm with my computer and have wifi, but that really negates the benefits of MobileMe syncing and the possibilities of Push. I don't know if it's possible, but it would just be great if changes I make on my laptop would be synced in real time to my phone. That way, whenever I take out my phone, I'll be able to work with an up-to-date database.

I haven't read any of the details of the push services, but I wonder if they support anything more than essentially a one-way flow of data. The current sync implementation in OF does write data back to the server during a sync even if it is only downloading changes, and not supplying any.

Why not just start a sync whenever you go to your car? If it will take 10 minutes to get to your destination, what does it matter that a sync takes a minute or two while you are driving? Even if you've made quite a few changes it shouldn't take very long if you're good about syncing the devices up every day. As a test, I just copied the text from another window, turned it into plain text and stuffed it into my Inbox -- making some 337 new actions. Syncing the lot over took about 16 seconds. Syncs go faster if only one client is contributing changes to be merged, so if you're going to do a bunch of reorganization of your data or enter a bunch of new stuff, it's worth the time to do a sync first rather than have multiple devices with outstanding changes.

I think you're right about the push being only one way. I don't know if what I want is actually possible. Maybe someone from Omni can chime in.

The main reason that I don't start a sync like that is because it takes so long that my phone goes to sleep. Also, if I put it in my pocket while it's syncing, I'll brush against it and hit a button. If I can get my sync time down to what you're getting, it probably won't be an issue. But still, it would be nice to not have to remember to sync at the end of the day or after I make changes. If I was going to do that, I might as well just use Bonjour sync and stop hassling with MobileMe. I'd prefer, however, to have the changes made constantly so it's always ready to go when I need it. The great thing about push is that it allows for syncing without waiting around. That's what I want implemented into OF.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the sync system as it stands (except for the slowness which will hopefully be resolved). I just see an opportunity for some great improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus26 View Post
I think you're right about the push being only one way. I don't know if what I want is actually possible. Maybe someone from Omni can chime in.
Unfortunately, what you're asking for isn't possible in the current iPhone SDK. Push notifications are one-way, and they don't talk to the application itself (unless it's running): they talk to the notification service, and can only send it information for the notification itself (a text message to display to the user, an badge count update, and/or the name of a sound to play).

Quote:
The main reason that I don't start a sync like that is because it takes so long that my phone goes to sleep. Also, if I put it in my pocket while it's syncing, I'll brush against it and hit a button.
As long as you don't exit OmniFocus, it can sync in the background while your screen is asleep. (Sometimes I'll launch OmniFocus and start a sync, then turn the screen back off while it does its thing. With the screen off, I don't have to worry about accidental touches changing my database.)

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid that it wasn't possible. Hopefully that functionality will be added later.

I didn't know that the sync continued after sleeping, thanks!