The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Higher Altitudes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi folks.

Has any thought through how to use OF or OF+OOPro to balance Higher Altitudes? I used to manage them in separate top-level outlines in Kinkless, but now that I'm in OF, I don't want my GTD system to just become a task manager.

I use different OmniFocus folders for each area of responsibility, and focus on the one I want to be spending time on right now (hiding all the other folders).

Thanks, Ken. The Focus feature is great; I'll have to get into using it more.

I too use folders for areas of higher responsibility. But I have also set review dates and intervals that correspond to how important a particular project is at the moment to my higher-level categories. That way I'm reminded frequently (as often as daily) of the things that really matter, especially if they need regular attention, and less often of the things that matter less at the moment.

How do review dates actually work? Can you get a popup reminder on that day or is it just sorting by reminder date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanasius
How do review dates actually work? Can you get a popup reminder on that day or is it just sorting by reminder date?
You can group by "Next review" in the Projects view. See this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanasius
Has any thought through how to use OF or OF+OOPro to balance Higher Altitudes? I used to manage them in separate top-level outlines in Kinkless, but now that I'm in OF, I don't want my GTD system to just become a task manager.
I had the opposite opinion when I started to use OF. In kGTD, I used to love the deferred contexts (like Reading+ or Someday+), but I found that by having it all in one place, my system was not as lean as it could be. I had many many ideas for future someday/maybe projects that weren't directly related to my current tasks. I understand the vertical mapping idea, but the two extremes were just too far apart to look at every week.

So I've been thinking about placing my highly elevated someday/maybe things somewhere else (maybe keep kGTD around just for that?) and keeping deferred tasks for current projects in OF along with my actionable tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
I use different OmniFocus folders for each area of responsibility, and focus on the one I want to be spending time on right now (hiding all the other folders).
I think I really need to explore folders and focusing much further to make good use of it. Someday/maybe…

Could you share a screenshot of your folder structure with higher altitudes? I never tought of using OF like that.