The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CPU use in sneaky peeks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've noticed over the last few days that a few minutes of browsing results in OW pegging my CPU. Happens very often, and does not go away even after closing all windows; restarting OW is required. I'm always using the latest sneaky peek on PPC.

OW tends to use a lot of CPU on my iMac G5 PPC as well, but usually after several days of not closing it.

My iMac is on 24/7 since I use it to control my home automation, so I never close OW unless I start getting the high CPU usage.

Terry - are you using the 5.6 sps or 5.5.4? 5.5.4 has a known issue with JS garbage collection that causes it to hog CPU.

hardcoreUFO, have you run a sample when this is happening to see if it contains any clues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Terry - are you using the 5.6 sps or 5.5.4?
Always the latest 5.6 sneaky peek.

Right now it's been one whole day since I restarted OW and there is no CPU hogging at all. In a few more days this will probably change.

Well, I hope you are sending OmniGroup in samples performed when this happens (and e.g. the Workspace you are using at the time, if itsn't private). It isn't something I have come across, but I tend to quit OmniWeb at least once each day.

Its official: OW Sneaky Peeks are unusable, at least on my machine, as of the last couple days. I have to restart every couple minutes due to excessive CPU use. I have been sampling the processes and sending them to Omni (I have no idea how to interpret them myself).

Have you tried the usual suspects of deleting the history files and caches for OmniWeb?

Adobe somehow managed to (!) make Flash plugin use MORE CPU while it is using (finally!) openGL acceleration.

At least here. Any browser.