The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Built In 2 Minute Timer? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone here know if the idea of putting a 2 minute timer in OmniFocus in the same way as the Yak Timer in Midnight Inbox has been considered. I haven't tried it, but it seems like a useful feature.

Hey mrubenson. There's nothing there as OmniFocus currently exists, but here's a _very_ simple script (that you could create in Applescript Editor and save in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus/) that, literally, tells you "Time is up" after two minutes.
Code:
delay 120
do shell script "say Time is up"
It's an easy way to do it, but useless if your sound isn't up! (If you have Growl installed, perhaps you could go that route, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr View Post
Code:
delay 120
do shell script "say Time is up"
I think that's generally a good approach - a script is a simple and flexible solution.

I would hesitate, however, to recommend the applescript delay command, which has had the reputation of being a surprisingly voracious resource hog, and, depending on the OS X version, might conceivably impact the perfomance of OmniFocus and any other applications that are struggling to get by.

BSD sleep has always been a good citizen, so an alternative might be something like:

Code:
do shell script "sleep 120"
say "Time is Up"
or

Code:
do shell script "sleep 120
say " & quoted form of "Hurry up please, it's Time ..."

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-03-19 at 03:07 AM..

Thank you both of you for your responses! Do you have any advice on how to best create a system wide keyboard shortcut to start this script?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrubenson View Post
Thank you both of you for your responses! Do you have any advice on how to best create a system wide keyboard shortcut to start this script?
If you don't want to tie up your applescript editor for two mins, you could just create a text file with a name like twomin.sh, and contents like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 120
say "Hurry up please, its time ..."
save it in ~/Library/Scripts (where ~ is your user directory) and then try assigning a keystroke with a trial edition of something like FastsScripts or Keyboard Maestro.

--

Apparently there seems to be a built in function in Snow Leopard to create user Services with Automator and assign shortcut, bypassing the need for additional software for this. Too bad I'm still on Leopard...

I set up FastScripts instead, which seem to be working fine together with th suggested shell script. Thanks again!