The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Personal WebDAV = Awesomeness Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by msim View Post
you are probably right. but i have a custom cent OS distro and am not too sure if i should meddle.
"A man's got to know his limitations..." words of wisdom from Harry Callahan, Magnum Force :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
"A man's got to know his limitations..." words of wisdom from Harry Callahan, Magnum Force :)
i wish i remember this at all times when i meddle with my systems :)

Remember also the first rule of intelligent tinkering: save all the pieces! :)

An Omni WebDAV hosting service would allow OmniGroup to eventually extend such a service into a web based version of OmniFocus. It could become a very nice recurring revenue model for Omni. It could evolve to where there could be a 3rd party API for others to integrate or write their own clients. Eventually, the OmniFocus fat client(s) could cost much less - or even be given away as an offline desktop web application. But I'm sure these discussions happen often at the Omni headquarters. ;)

Personally, I hope that OmniFocus never has a web service only. Like google. At least with mobileme I have client software where my data lives, that also syncs to a web interface.

So syncing to my client computer with a web service... yes.

I don't ever want to be without my OmniFocus. :-)
Network connections through wireless are still spotty. I want my data to be on my phone, or on my computer no matter what is happening with my internet service provider or location.

If OmniFocus offered a web version only, then I am at the mercy of my Internet Provider to reach my data.

I didn't read the suggestion as being that Omni should move to a model where your only option was to use a web-based solution, but rather that those who couldn't use a Mac-based solution could still have access to their data from the nearest web browser.

I'm not sure I would hold my breath waiting for Omni to do this, however; they have already expressed a lack of interest in being in the service provider business, and web-based application construction isn't an area where they've previously ventured, so far as I can tell. Perhaps I'm too cynical, but my expectation given the hue and cry raised over charging $20 for OmniFocus for the iPhone is that no one will want to pay for the web version either. So, to sum up, we've got a new labor and capital intensive business in which they have no experience, and expectations of small revenue streams. How could they possibly say no? :)