The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCloud support? [A: Possibly in future, not at launch. See thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

Would be cool if Omnifocus would someday support syncing over iCloud.
Someday being when iOS 5 comes out ;-)

Thanks,
Ivan

+1 for iCloud support.
I'd prefer to have all my apps sync to iCloud than have to use clouds all over the place for various apps.

If it meant that OmniFocus could have 'team' functionality and the ability to see another person's shared OmniFocus projects then I'd happily rebuy OmniFocus for both my Mac and my iDevices and those of my colleagues.

I love OmniFocus and we make do with sharing the OmniSync Server (Our own WebDAV was a little too slow when abroad and using our iDevices), but even now we occasionally suffer with horrible sync collisions. I know you're not supposed to do this, but OmniFocus kicks seven shades out of Things.

Also; OmniOutliner with iCloud support would be fantastic.
Heck, everything with iCloud support, including OmniPlan!

Hopefully we see more 'sharing' functionality soon as well.

Talked with Ken earlier today: iCloud support for all our document-based apps is something of a no-brainer. It's less clear whether the design of the service will support the needs of an app like OmniFocus.

We're looking into it, though, and even if it turns out to not be well-suited to OmniFocus sync, we'll keep the Omni Sync Server available for customers to use for sync at no additional charge.

Stay tuned, in other words.

Thanks for the reply, Brian. If only more developers were like The Omni Group; Amazing.

right now I am syncing omnifocus with mobileme - when mobileme is no longer available and I switch to iCloud this won't be a simple "seemless" transfer for current mobileme users then right?

I received this email from Apple regarding my mobileme account:

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

It seems unlikely that we'll get definitive word from Apple about whether or not they will continue to provide WebDAV storage (such as OmniFocus uses) that you could use until shortly before they roll out the service. Fortunately, you can painlessly switch over to the Omni Sync Service if necessary. You just make sure your devices are all synced, switch one to sync to OSS, sync to install the database on the OSS, then switch the others to sync to OSS. You may even find that your syncs are faster, depending on your network connectivity. Not much cause for concern here.

The MobileMe sync option for OmniFocus uses iDisk, which will not be bridged over to iCloud.
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The MobileMe sync option for OmniFocus uses iDisk, which will not be bridged over to iCloud.
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html
The easiest way to solve this problem will be to use MobileMe's built-in Calendar. It has now been turned into a full CalDAV calendar with full GTD task support, and this CalDAV calendar will be moved directly to iCloud.

If this option is chosen, it will also mean that all tasks created in OmniFocus will automatically be available in iCal and BusyCal on Mac. Though only with Due dates and without OF's elaborate contexts and projects.

I think such a solution will be most friendly to OmniGroup's customers. Personally, I'm using OF for Mac, OF for iPhone and OF for iPad - and sync is very important. I currently sync through the iDisk.

Actually, iCloud has storage APIs:

Quote:
iCloud Storage APIs enable your apps to store documents and key value data in iCloud. iCloud will wirelessly push documents to a user's device automatically and update the documents when changed on any device — automatically.
See page 13 onward from this document, about APIs in iOS 5.
http://cl.ly/151642201m1X072V0o15