The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Expand and Collapse Notes with a keyboard shortcut? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know if there is a keyboard shortcut to expand or collapse a note attached to a to-do item?

One awkward work around is to use the 'edit note' keyboard shortcut (Command-') followed by pressing 'esc'. Surely there should be an easier way than that!

Or is there a preference option that makes notes automatically visible or invisible depending on the item selected.

Thanks!

Brandon

I used to be able to use the <enter> key for that, but as of SneakyPeak 1.1 that doesn't seem to work anymore? Bring it back, Ninjas, PLEASE! :)

Bart

The <enter> key did the same thing as Cmd-'. There's a hidden pref to turn the old behavior back on, though it doesn't do what the OP requested. The hidden pref is listed in the release notes (Help --> Release Notes, scroll to the bottom, look in the second to last section).

Curt

Woohoo! Thanks :)

I can not find the document you mentioned.
I also tried the shortcut you mentioned.
Nothing is working.

Believe it or not, this is a major pain for me that moves me to other gtd software.
I would love to be able to double click the title and it automatically open the corresponding note.

Anyway, is there a way to open expand the note are with the keyboard? Or any other way than having to move my mouse over the note icon and double clicking?

In 1.5, the default keystroke is:
command(apple) apostrophe

It's also in the Edit menu if you forget. (edit note)

It toggles open and closed.

It is also good to note (pun intended) that you can open and close multiple notes by selecting all and toggling command(apple) apostrophe

I'm really surprised this isn't documented. I consider it one of the most important shortcuts that I use.

I'd love it if you could set notes to always be visible, or to at least remember their last state. Barring that, an OmniOutliner style separate pane would be good, too. Notes are the only major gripe I have with OF. I find their shyness and presentation inhibits good self-documentation as I work.

I'd actually like to have a setting to just show all notes by default. I rarely have long enough notes to worry about them taking up too much room, but I have many actions with notes and it would be great to have them all showing, all the time.