The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inbox not syncing to iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In OmniFocus on my Mac, I've just input four tasks in the Inbox. I synced. I opened OF on my iPhone 3G, synced. Nothing in the Inbox. The tasks I just input are in Miscellaneous on the iPhone, but not in the Inbox.

Please help.

If an action has either a project or a context on the iPhone, it gets moved out of the inbox. It sounds like your actions had a context, but no project. So they were put in the Miscellaneous project.

OmniFocus for the Mac never automatically cleans up the Inbox - you have to manually invoke it via the Clean Up item in the Edit menu or by clicking the Clean Up item on the toolbar.

OmniFocus for the iPhone automatically cleans up the Inbox when redisplaying (when changing views, for instance, or when refreshing from synced data). By default it will clean up any item that has either a project or a context assigned, but when syncing with OmniFocus for the Mac it will adopt the behavior configured in the Inbox Processing section of the Data preferences in OmniFocus for the Mac.

So when your Inbox items from the Mac get synced over to the phone, they get immediately cleaned up if they can be, according to the Inbox Processing settings. (And then when synced back to the Mac, that is reflected on the Mac as well.)

Thank you, I think this helps me understand the Inbox system a little more clearly. iPhone's auto-cleaning threw me.

I've been kind of using Inbox as a way of listing things I need to do on any given day, rather than having to dig through my long list of projects and find tasks there...

In case it is of any help, a lot of people use flagging for that purpose - flag all the items that you want to do today, then you can view the top-level "Flagged" items list on the phone (and/or build a corresponding perspective on the Mac).