The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Support multiple keychain entries for a site Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It then displays a dialog to choose which login you'd like to use.

You're right, of course, this is by no means a real security feature at all. I would not use this, either, at a machine with more or less public access.

The particular situation is: I own a very small bookstore, and I have only one employee who manages the store when I have a day off. I trust her, she would probably not abuse it if she saw that she could login to a particular site with saved passwords. But I still feel better if it isn't SO obvious that this is possible. And it's the same for my home Mac, where a friend staying for a week might use my Mac while I'm at work, ot sth similar. I will of course leave my account open for use, if he wants to browse around in the net, but I'd like it better if he wouldn't see at first glance that he could use a saved account for a particular site.

And, anyway—how would the solution used at the moment work with different accounts on the same site, a feature that will hopefully be included soon?

I use Fast User Switching for all my multi-user needs. When I had friends visit, I created a brand new account just for them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I use Fast User Switching for all my multi-user needs. When I had friends visit, I created a brand new account just for them...
That is useful when one has enough RAM and CPU power. I have just delegated some of my older machines to that task.

Ok, touché. :-)

But still—how are you intending to implement multiple keychain entries for one site? It wouldn't make sense to display one of the available user names and display a dialog when the login button was clicked. So what are you going to do? IMHO, a colored border around the entry fields and a keyboard shortcut is a good solution. Maybe with the addition to display the available user name options also when the login button is clicked.

And while implementing that, you could add a preference option to only show colored frames also if there is only one login available. :-)

(BTW: I'm not sure, but I think Safari is able to use multiple logins for one site, isn't it? How is it implemented there?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
Ok, touché. :-)

But still—how are you intending to implement multiple keychain entries for one site? It wouldn't make sense to display one of the available user names and display a dialog when the login button was clicked. So what are you going to do? IMHO, a colored border around the entry fields and a keyboard shortcut is a good solution. Maybe with the addition to display the available user name options also when the login button is clicked.

And while implementing that, you could add a preference option to only show colored frames also if there is only one login available. :-)

(BTW: I'm not sure, but I think Safari is able to use multiple logins for one site, isn't it? How is it implemented there?)
most likely the same way safari does. check it out.

Actually, I don't have multiple accounts on any website I use at home, so I can't test without adding a superfluous account to some site. So please tell me. :-)

You type in part of the username and a drop down list appears in the login box, you can type the whole thing out or hit down to select the one you want. Once you type/select it, the password gets filled in.

Ok. That's reasonable. But I was thinking about what is displayed before you type anything into the login field?

If you have more then one, it doesnt fill in anything until you type part of it the first time. After that, it autofills it with the last one you used.

How the other browsers deal with multiple passwords but identical usernames?

I should add, I know Firefox can't.

Last edited by Forrest; 2006-08-31 at 08:09 AM..