The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exporting from OmniGraffle Pro to Office 2010 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sorry if this is a FAQ but I couldn't find it quickly...

I just purchased Omnigraffle pro and love it. Unfortunately I am required to take my figure and import it into Microsoft Office Word 2010 on windows. What is the best way to do this? My first attempts failed in various ways with Word unable to import the eps file. The PCT file came up very wrong. I think SVG would hold some promise but need a way to convert from SVG to EMF or something?

Regards,
Jeff

You may need to use a protocol that is portable (between the Mac and Windoze), not one that is stuck to one side only. Try File/Export to PNG or PDF or JPEG. You can choose: entire document; canvas; etc, but for what I think you are doing (copying an OG graphic into a Word doc), use "current selection". On the Export dialogue, there are additional settings as well. Once you get used to it, it is quite easy.

On the Word side, insert it as a picture from a file.

After gaining some experience, in your particular Word doc needs, you will be better able to choose the options that suit you.

I agree.l I have had no problem importing JPGs into the Office Apps and I believe PNG also.

For printing/publishing purposes I need to use a vector graphic form. Is there any vector graphic format that I can use that both omnigraffle and word truly support?

I had a feeling that was your requirement .. and I have had the same requirement... but I haven't found a solution to that one.

I do not understand what you mean. Word does not "truly support" or "support" and format (therefore the requirement cannot ever be fulfilled). It just let's you embed images in the Word doc. The image can be any format you like.

For printing purposes, of course, use a format for the embedded image that turns out nicely. That is usually accomplished with PDF or PNG or JPEG (in the embedded image).

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-10-20 at 01:02 PM..

But of course I tried all that.

Instead of the word "support", think "imports without error and looks like the original".

I tried exporting my image as eps and imported into Word 2010 in windows and it says "Error importing file". I tried exporting at PCT and word imported it but it looked completely wrong - Fonts were wildly different sizes, transparency was wrong, and some ellipses looked like they were drawn with a straight edge. I tried exporting to SVG and then tried to use some other general tools to convert that to WMF but that did not work at all either. Ultimately I exported as a 600 dpi TIFF, but as this is for something that is going to be published via as well as downloaded it needs to be vector based.

I am required to use Word 2010 on windows as existing Mac versions of word do not support the required macros for this document.

I would really hate to have to re-draw my diagrams from within word because of this, or worse, have to purchase Visio which was always just a clone of OmniGraffle.

Quote:
think "imports without error and looks like the original"
Ok, I am clear about that.

We are still dealing with transferring Image files that support a vector format. SVG and PICT are definitely off the list. I did not suggest TIFF (although that would work nicely for publishing/printing). I suspect you have not actually tried:
• Export PDF (not PrintAsPDF), which let's you set transparency, etc.
• Export as PNG
• Export as JPEG.
Could you please try one of each and report back to us. All Exports allow borders (margins) and scaling. I repeat, the above works well for me, "imports without error and looks like the original", and prints well. As stated, PNG is the "best", but that is only because of Word limitations; technically, PDF is the best.

Re Fonts, for vector, well you do have to use (in the OG doc) only those fonts which are readily available on the Word PC.

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-10-24 at 09:46 PM..

Hi Darek! Thank you for the detailed info. I just did an Export PDF in OmniGraffle which let me set transparency, etc.. And MS Word gives me the wonderfully helpful message "An error occurred while importing this file. c:\diagrams\jeff.pdf"
The same file opens just fine in any windows pdf viewer programs. I get the same error if I try to import the eps file.

PNG and JPEG do not support vectors.

EPS and PDF and SVG do support vectors.

For now, TIFF works for my immediate needs. PNG would as well. JPEG is not the right format to use for line drawings.

When this gets published I will probably have to do something else, or perhaps re-export as very high resolution.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff

I asked you to try PNG and JPEG to check the results (clean enough, good enough, or not), and to test if MS can import it without error; I realise they are not vectors. PNG is designed to obtain near-vector quality without being vector.

Ok, so you are stuck on the MS Word side. PDF actually works for the trnasfer Mac⇢Windoze; PDF Viewers are fine; but Word (Office) is stuffed.

If you can accept TIFF (non-vector, bitmap), then I urge you to try PNG, the filesize is much smaller. Both allow resolution to be set.

Sorry I cannot help you further.

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-10-25 at 03:39 PM..