The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOLVED: Database can't be synced(use server copy or local) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This message comes up at least 20 times a day. Can anyone help me with this issue?

I have the same issue, this with one laptop and iphone and the latest software (as of today (July 23, 2008)), and only doing updates on the laptop, so why does "it" think the database needs to be reset?

This is most likely to occur when multiple devices sync at the same time. If possible, try not to make changes from multiple devices before syncing. When you finish using your laptop, sync it. When you start using your desktop, sync it. Etc.
Please also make sure you're running the latest sneaky peek. We fixed a few things in this neighborhood recently. (It may take a couple syncs after the update before things are sorted out.)

If you're getting the error on multiple devices and always choosing "Local", you're going to keep getting the problem. (It's like two little kids bickering "Do it my way!" "No, my way!" Until you coax one of them to give in, they're just going to keep at it.)

I haven't touched my iphone in 2days and I still get this message at least 10-15times a day. I put so much time into logging information and this message and sync issue is really slowing down the overall process of staying organized much longer than is worth doing. Can someone walk me through a solution to ease my pain? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much, in advance

I was having this problem as well, and was given this advice via tech support:
Quote:
Connect to your sync location and move all of the
OmniFocus-related stuff into an "Old OmniFocus Data" folder that we
can examine later.

Moving that stuff into the new folder means that your
synchronization should be back in a pristine, original state.
Synchronize from whichever one of your devices has the most up-to-
date information to make sure that works. Maybe synchronize one more
time to make sure it still works.

If you look at your server at this point, you should see a single
OmniFocus.ofocus file; you shouldn't have any "copy-in-progress"
files lying around, for example.

One by one, go to the rest of your desktop computers and sync. You
may be asked to replace your local copy with the server copy; if so,
say yes. Sync again, to make sure that's solid. Go back to your
desktop and sync there.
I had no fewer than five separate "OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-[glyph]" folders in my remote BingoDisk/bingo folder. Starting over as described above made the symptom go away for a while. Sadly, the problem is recurring now, so I'll have to transcribe the data from iPhone to laptop by hand and start over. Again. Sigh.

This is clearly not ready for prime time. Then again, they pretty clearly tell us that it's not ready for prime time when they call the version of the software we're running "sneaky peeks."

To elaborate a bit, if you are seeing this and it is because you have multiple devices syncing simultaneously (two Macs, or a Mac and an iPhone, etc), then the "correct" way to handle it is to choose the Cancel option, wait until the sync on the other device is finished, then you can attempt the sync again on the device that reported the problem.

We believe we have a fix for this, which is already in the latest sneaky-peek releases of the desktop app, but will still be a problem until 1.0.2 for the iPhone is available (sorry, I don't have an ETA on that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
We believe we have a fix for this, which is already in the latest sneaky-peek releases of the desktop app, but will still be a problem until 1.0.2 for the iPhone is available (sorry, I don't have an ETA on that).
I would suggest that your current sneaky peeks do not fix this. I can consistently reproduce it with no other versions of OF trying to sync.

Basically all I have to do is use iDisk as my sync server and really really work in OF. Make multiple changes over multiple minutes (like processing my inbox) and I will eventually get the error. I think the part that tells it to sync soon or in the next minute is causing it to conflict with itself and eat it's own tail.

I have submitted this to support just a few minutes ago, but I think you have something going on where you can pretty easily conflict with yourself if really working OF.

When I am using it normally, i.e. getting real things done and not organizing my tasks, I don't have any problems because I only ever use one at a time and I can rarely do more than one task in the time it takes to do the one forced sync to cause a conflict.

So I've come up with a work around that is working for me. When doing lots of heavy lifting in omnifocus. processing my inbox or doing a weekly review I will pop up the sync prefs pane in Preferences and set it to "Nothing"

When complete I will pop it back open and switch it back to mobileme.

Not ideal but it seems to be working for now.

My wife is experiencing the exact same thing as mclazarus.

She has been in the process of doing some major processing of her inbox on the desktop client for the past couple of days. She started seeing this repeated error on Tuesday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclazarus View Post
So I've come up with a work around that is working for me. When doing lots of heavy lifting in omnifocus. processing my inbox or doing a weekly review I will pop up the sync prefs pane in Preferences and set it to "Nothing"

When complete I will pop it back open and switch it back to mobileme.

Not ideal but it seems to be working for now.
I'll have to give this a try, since that seems to be EXACTLY the situation I run into.

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a specific bug number to tag this with? I just sent a very lengthy e-mail to Omni with some debugging error message data (sorry, I can't remember the thread where I saw the debug "ON" command, but it was posted by Lizard recently).

My own suspicion is that the real problem here is an intermittent connection to MobileMe; I know that my own connection here at work caqn be very spotty, and I don't think that I've ever had this crop up when I'm using my MacBook Pro from home (and the work machine isn't running OF at the time).

Just my $0.02...

J