The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shade of gray in bullets (and an Omni 'look') Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The design of OO4 is looking very good.

I particularly appreciate the visual separation between the full contrast (black) user text in the foreground, and the muted lower contrast gray of the design elements (bullets, triangles etc), which pushes them into the cognitive background, where they don't compete for our attention.

Personally, I would like to slightly increase the level of separation between text and bullets, making the bullet gray a littler paler still.

(OF2 is getting this part of its design more or less right, I think, with a gray in the region of 63%, tho I might go for something nearer 50%)

More generally, once you have identified what you feel is an optimal level of visual separation between the user data and the design elements, it would be very good to standardize that across OO, OP, OF etc
  1. To avoid wasting time in the reinvention of wheels, and
  2. to develop a coherent Omni 'look', which expresses a commitment to productivity, and thus to highly optimised visual ergonomics.

In fact, I think, a broader set of Omni 'visual ergonomics' guidelines, and a coherent approach to excellence in visual design across all your products and communications, would be very good for users, productivity, and brand.

---

Last edited by RobTrew; 2013-04-24 at 02:44 PM..

You might, of course, want to identify one optimum separation of data/design contrast levels for screen, and another for print (and/or offer user options).