The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filtering Omnioutliner rows by values of columns etc. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Robtrew, just saw you did my last wished modification. Thanx very much, this saves my life not having to manually copy the content of 150 windows 50 times!

The code in post 1 has been updated to include whpalmer4's excellent edits, which fix an error thrown when filtering rows by date.

Many thanks for catching and fixing that !

This looks promising. I don't know if anyone else is getting this error on the code in the first post.

I am getting a syntax error that reads:
"A identifier can’t go after this identifier."

topic column is highlighted in this bit of code:

"set width of topic column of docFiltered to width of topic column of oDoc"

Not seeing that here under OS X 10.6
It might be worth copying the code afresh (ensuring that nothing is getting missed at start or end) and trying again.

Rob,

This is a brilliant script. I got it to work on 10.6.8, but I got the error message on Lion.

Did anyone out there get it to work on Lion?

Steve

Phew. It works on Lion. I must have made a mistake copying the code the first few times around! Great script.

First, Rob and other contributors: Thank you very much for the huge amount of work it must be to generate these scripts. They add great functionality to OO. I'm very grateful to have them.

Sorry to be slow here, but I don't understand how to use this script (or your other selector script) so that when I give a criteria it will also select the parents.

I think my use case is fairly common: From a large file, I want to select all the entries that contain, say "apple," at any level in a particular column.

It seems like others understand how to use this script to do this, but I can't quite get it. Thanks very much for any thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl123 View Post
I don't understand how to use this script (or your other selector script) so that when I give a criteria it will also select the parents.
Not sure what filtering plans (if any) there are for OmniOutliner 4, but in OO3 there is no support for query operations on branches (subtrees) - the applescript where queries can only return matching rows, essentially as flattened list of records.

Might be worth asking, through Help > Send Feedback whether full path queries, with axes like "ancestors", "descendants" etc are likely to be introduced in OO4.

In the meanwhile, for this kind of thing I am personally using FoldingText, which stores values in key/value 'tags' and 'properties' rather than columns, but does have a full Xpath-based query language, which can (through a scripting interface) query the 'Axes' of tree structures (branches, lineages, sibling ranges etc) rather than just flattened lists of rows.

For particular purposes one could construct recursive applescripts which did something analogous in OO3, but this script does not do that, and making such scripts relatively general would take some work.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-11-25 at 01:31 PM..

OK, I thought that earlier post was saying that he had used the script in this thread to solve this problem. It's at least helpful to know that it can't really be done at present so that I can stop trying to figure out a way to do it w/ the script.

thanks again.

I'll make a request to the omni folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
For particular purposes one could construct recursive applescripts which did something analogous in OO3, but this script does not do that, and making such scripts relatively general would take some work
Probably fair to add that recursive search through general tree axes (matching and returning branches, lineages, sibling sets etc) would tend to run quite slowly in OO3 Applescript - the script in this thread is relatively fast because it restricts itself to the built-in where syntax querying of a flattened list of rows.