The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Update resources' google calendars? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, newbie question here.

The home page for Omniplan states: 'customize your availability and have your colleagues' calendars update instantly.'

I am troubled how this works. I assume this means that if I move a task to a new date, the task would move in my colleague's calendar (him being the assigned resource). How do I accomplish this? And if it's not possible, what does the above sentence actually mean?

Thanks,
Ron

In OmniPlan you're able to set custom off-hours and overtime hours for each resource in the project. If you are a resource in the project, you could select yourself and mark a few hours in the day as off-hours if you had an upcoming doctor's appointment or something to that effect.

Once you did this and published your project, the change in availability would be updated on your colleagues' copy of the project if they were also set up to sync with you.

Having said that, the example you mentioned of moving a task to a new start date and having it appear on the new start date in your colleague's copy of OmniPlan is also true.

I see. I was confused because Omniplan can also update a Google calendar, I assumed it could push a resource's Omniplan calendar to a Google calendar.

Our resources use other platforms, and we use Google apps for all our work, so it would be very convenient if Omniplan could use Google calendar instead of their own for resource calendars.

Please consider this a feature request.

Thanks,
Ron

To answer my own question, I solved this with the help of the OP support desk.
I created a user in google apps, logged in as that user, and create many calendars, one each for each of my colleagues.

Then in the Settings -> Accounts I added a Google account, called it 'Planning Calender' and added the credentials for the newly created Google user.

After that I went to Project -> Configure Publications and Subscriptions and for each colleague I added 'tasks to/from calendar events', selected the 'Planning Calendar' and picked the calendar for that colleague. Finally I added a filter on the resource being that colleague.

Last step was to log into the google apps user again, and for each calendar, copy the ical link, and send that around so people could include the googel calendar into their own calendar.

Et voila! Every time I publish the new planning, everybody calendar gets updated to reflect the new status!