The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't sync to a server disk Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I double click my Omnifocus.ofocus file on my server, it launches just fine and brings up my projects, but if I hit the Sync button, it says "your Omnifocus database is not setup to synch with a server..." If I go to sync preferences, I can choose the location of the file on the server, but the Sync Now button stays gray and it won't work.

It worked before, not sure why this is happening all of a sudden. Restarting didn't help...

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.8 and Omnifocus 1.7.5

That's because you aren't opening "your" OmniFocus database when you double-click on some other file. Just launch the application by double-clicking the application, clicking the dock icon, using Spotlight or Quicksilver or LaunchBar or Butler, etc. OmniFocus is happy to open any OmniFocus-format file and show you its contents (this is how you selectively restore from a backup or the archive, for example), but it is only willing to sync the database that lives in Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus in your home directory.

Thanks Whpalmer, but can't I sync to a server instead of my Mac's hard drive? I would like for multiple Macs to sync to the same database. It was actually working like that before--my macs just started to have sync issues...

Yes. You set up sync with the Disk option in the Sync Preferences if you are going to sync via a directory on a mounted server (or a portable disk you attach to each machine) instead of via WebDAV.

Thanks, I have done that, but only one of my 5 Macs can sync to that database. I would like to access my projects from any of my 5 Macs. Do I need to get a WebDAV server instead of using a server disk on my LAN?

Any help is appreciated!

Why can only one Mac sync to that database? If they can all mount that directory, and are all configured to sync with the disk option, they should all sync. See p. 44 of the manual.

I found a solution. From the one Mac that was syncing ok, I set a new sync location on the same server drive. Then I synced the other Macs to that new .ofocus file (similar to a save-as). All seems to be working fine now. Just hope it doesn't happen again. Perhaps the original database got corrupted.

Thanks for your input