The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF 1.8: Projects no longer open with Availability Filter set to 'Remaining' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been struggling since my upgrade to 1.8; due to subtle changes, my usual workflow isn't as smooth.

Pre-1.8 upgrade, here's how I would work throughout the day:

1) In 'Due' perspective (with Project Filter set to 'Active', Availability Filter set to 'Next Action')
2) Double-click any Project or Folder to open it in a new window
3) Notice that in the new window, the Availability Filter has automatically switched to 'Remaining'

This was very useful, because if I double-click on a project to open it, I really want to see all remaining tasks.

Post-1.8 upgrade, the newly opened window does not switch the Availability Filter to 'Remaining'; rather it remains at 'Next Action'. This means that every time I open a project in a new window to focus on it, I have to manually (with the mouse!) switch the Availability Filter to Remaning. This is a workflow killer, I'm afraid.

I do notice that for any given project or folder, after I've opened it once and manually switched the Availability Filter, that setting does persist across subsequent openings of that project/folder. That's nice, but I really want to be able to set it (back) as a default.

Ideally, this would be a setting in Preferences, but I don't see any such thing. Barring that, a set of hotkeys for switching the Availabilty Filter would be the next best approach.

Is this change negatively impacting anyone else? Anyone have a better workaround?

Also, I wonder why was the change made in the first place? It's hard to imagine why this would be a better default than the previous. I always though that the original settings were particularly well-thought out. I'd love to hear feedback from Omni on this.

Thanks!

- Chris

As a reasonable workaround to the above, I've just set up a perspective called 'Focus and Plan' with a hotkey that switches both the Project Filter and Availability Filter to 'Remaining'. Now the original workflow is back, where I double-click on a project, hit my hotkey and go about my business.

Nevertheless, I'd still like the old default back.

Check to see if your preference for 'General>Open New Windows' is set to 'With last-used view settings'. If so, switch it to a specific perspective that has the filters set to remaining. Your newly created 'Focus and Plan' perspective will work as one example.