The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

capturing email with OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know that various scripts are available to capture email and attach them to actions, but is there a way to do it inside of OF without using any scripts?

If not, is there going to be in the future?

A bit unclear to me what this would mean. One presumably needs to have an email selected in a mail client. Is it just a matter of executing a capture script from within OmniFocus? That could be done with a number of tools to assign the script to a function key.

Omni has promised integration with Mail.app for version 1.0 of OmniFocus. No word on how that will be done. Maybe Mail in Leopard will provide an API for other programs, like Address Book does now. Alternatively, OF could use a service or an input manager to capture a hotkey in Mail and trigger some OF code to attach a mail message to a task.

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-09-19 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Too late to type straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Omni has promised integration with Mail.app for version 1.0 of OmniFocus. No word on how that will be done. Maybe Mail in Leopard will provide an API for other programs, like Address Book does now. Alternatively, OF could use a service or an input manager to capture a hotkey in Mail and trigger some OF code to attach a mail message to a task.
Thanks Curt.

Till then I will just use your script!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamT View Post
I know that various scripts are available to capture email and attach them to actions, but is there a way to do it inside of OF without using any scripts?

If not, is there going to be in the future?
I've been reading about this issue (and Curt's scripts); I realized that it wasn't registering because most of my use of OF is at work, where we use Exchange and so I use Entourage rather than Apple's Mail.app.

Entourage allows me to drag messages into the Note field, where they are expanded to Rich-Text. This works great (for me, at least). Mail.app doesn't do this - OF isn't "receptive" to this action. I wonder whether that would be "good enough" for many of us it it worked the same way as Entourage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
Entourage allows me to drag messages into the Note field, where they are expanded to Rich-Text. This works great (for me, at least).
Not going for the shameless plug, but have you seen the scripts i've written for Entourage->OF?
http://www.sandro.org/omnifocus/index.php

Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
I've been reading about this issue (and Curt's scripts); I realized that it wasn't registering because most of my use of OF is at work, where we use Exchange and so I use Entourage rather than Apple's Mail.app.

Entourage allows me to drag messages into the Note field, where they are expanded to Rich-Text. This works great (for me, at least). Mail.app doesn't do this - OF isn't "receptive" to this action. I wonder whether that would be "good enough" for many of us it it worked the same way as Entourage?
That definitely would not be good enough for me. I'm a complete keyboard junkie. I don't touch the mouse when processing email, and I need the action to link back to the message so I can reply to it. As I have Mail, OF, and QuickSilver configured now, I can hit ctrl-f to create a new action from the selected email. In OF, I can hit ctrl-f to open the email associated with an action, then Cmd-R to reply to it.

Curt

I'm still working to bring my QS usage to a higher level. I hate the mouse and more and more try to eliminate the need for it.

Curt or anyone else, do you know if this type of flow would be possible with thunderbird. I would rather be using mail.app but my university proxy doesn't seem to get along with mail very well and so I'm left with no functional mail program at work if I rely on mail. The series of key strokes you describe is exactly what I would love to have though.

Cheers,
Sheena

Some quick Googling shows that Thunderbird is at least somewhat AppleScript-able. An interested person with AppleScript skills could likely put something together. The only question would be whether there is someone who satisfies all the criteria: Thunderbird user, OmniFocus user AppleScript programmer, and willing to share.

Over on the OmniFocus Extras forum is a thread where people can request scripts. Perhaps a post there is in order?

Curt

I use Mail with the exchange server at work.

It works beautifully with exchange server!

If you want to sync iCal & address book to exchanges calendar,
this program has been working well for me.
http://www.snerdware.com/groupcal/

I've tried Entourage... and loathed it. The lack of rich text in it & outlook is a huge complaint for me.

The Mail app is elegant.

Although I can hardly wait for the upcoming upgrade to it.