The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why do alerts sound for tasks I've marked completed? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I thought at first I was getting this because I hadn't synced my Mac, iPhone and iPad. But now I know I have and I've even checked to see that a given task is marked as done on all three devices, I get the alert.

It looks to me as if one gets alerts for any task that has a set time and date, regardless of whether it's completed or not.

Is that right or am I missing a setting somewhere? I appreciate this is a tiny thing and I'll happily live with it if necessary, but I'd prefer it if the act of ticking a task as done would cancel the associated alert.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
William

One possibility here is that the calendar export feature is being used.

OmniFocus updates that calendar file every time you sync, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Calendar on the phone will notice that the exported calendar file has been updated before the appointed time.

If that's the case, it may help to use "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" to change the "Fetch New Data" setting on your device. If the phone checks those accounts more frequently, you've got a better chance of heading those alerts off.

It won't completely eliminate the chance of that happening, though. We can lead their app to data but we can't make it sync, if I may mangle an old folk saying. ;-)

If you don't have the calendar export enabled, contact our support ninjas and we can investigate this with you. If you're only using local notifications, you should be seeing the behavior you're requesting - checking an action off cancels the reminder.

I actually think this might be a regression in the most recent builds.

I've seen it once or twice as well, and I am _not_ using calendar export (I've not used it since local notifications were added to OF after iOS 4.0 came out).

There are a couple instances I've seen it in the past few days, when tasks were completed on all devices (Actually, I think I got them for task groups). I don't have an exact bead on what's going on yet, but I did note "Hmmm... that's odd."

If I can find how to reproduce, I'll file a bug report. But just FYI Brian that there may be something odd going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
One possibility here is that the calendar export feature is being used.
Brian, thanks for replying. I'm not using the calendar export - I'm afraid I didn't even know about it. It looks handy, I must try it... but perhaps after we've fixed this.

I'll email support.

Cheers,
William