The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

5.5b1 - beeping when keys are pressed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One thing I've noticed in OW 5.5b1 is that it now beeps everytime a key is pressed, when a text field is not in focus. This didn't happen in OW 5.1.3 (I don't remember if it was happening in the 5.5 SP releases).

On the surface this might seem to be a good idea, as it could let users know that they're not currently typing into a text box (just in case they thought they were, and aren't looking at the screen). But actually, there are now many sites that use onKeyUp events in JavaScript to provide interactivity, and -- while the events still work in 5.5b1, the system alert sound is now being played for every key press. This gets irritating quite quickly, so please, OmniGuys, make it stop doing that! It should not be an option, it should simply be removed.

A related issue is that the onKeyUp events are now not being received until I've clicked somewhere in the page. This, too, was not a problem in 5.1.3, and needs to be fixed. The page should automatically be given keyboard focus, so that onKeyUp events will work without having to click in the page first.

Do you have an example page where this is happening?

Here are two...

Reviewing the Kanji
On this site, the Review page shows flash cards. You can press the spacebar to flip the card over, then press Y or N to indicate whether you got it right. The spacebar does not trigger the system beep, but the Y and N keys (and all other letters and numbers) do. It still works, but beeps every time. In relation to the second problem I noted, the key commands don't start working until I've clicked in the page somewhere to assign keyboard focus to the document (which OW should do automatically).

That site requires you to register first, so if you don't want to do that, check this one instead...

Stormchild: Artwork
This is my personal site, and uses a simple JavaScript-based image viewer that I wrote about a week ago. You can use the arrow keys to go to the next/previous image, and press Esc or X to return to the index. The arrow and Esc keys do not trigger the system beep, but the X key does. Again, everything works fine, it's just beeping whenever a number or letter key is pressed.

In the latter example, the second issue (having to click to assign focus to the document first) isn't a problem, since you have to click on an image thumbnail before the keyboard commands will do anything.

I haven't got time to set up a proper, isolated example at the moment, but if the above examples aren't sufficient, let me know, and I will.