The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

URL autocomplete from history Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would really like the option to bypass the automatic "www" and "com" and have the default autocomplete from History, so that I just have to press Return rather than having to press down arrow first.

The first item merely shows what you will get it you hit return--you don't have to select it.

Edit: Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you want here, you want us to automatically choose the top hit of the matching history items instead of having to arrow to it.

Hrm. I'll think about it--but I really hate that behavior personally so I'm pretty sure it won't be the default.

Last edited by Len Case; 2006-08-30 at 07:55 PM..

Another problem is that we match anywhere in the url, not just items that have what was typed as a prefix, so it would be hard to go to a new url without something else matching and getting in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
Hrm. I'll think about it--but I really hate that behavior personally so I'm pretty sure it won't be the default.
The #1 complaint I hear about Safari is this issue. So depending on exactly what he's asking... if it's the more in-line auto-complete rather than having to go down to select something... yeah, bugs many other too.

I'll plug our shortcut feature here as well...

If you have some sites that you go to a lot but don't want to type the whole url or find in bookmarks, you can add a shortcut to the bookmark. So, you could make "g" take you to "www.google.com" or "gm" take you to "www.gmail.com".

Even cooler, you can create search shortcuts so that (for example) to find all the pizza restaurants from www.dexonline.com, all you have to type is "dex pizza".

Quote:
I'll plug our shortcut feature here as well...

If you have some sites that you go to a lot but don't want to type the whole url or find in bookmarks, you can add a shortcut to the bookmark. So, you could make "g" take you to "www.google.com" or "gm" take you to "www.gmail.com".

Even cooler, you can create search shortcuts so that (for example) to find all the pizza restaurants from www.dexonline.com, all you have to type is "dex pizza".
Or just use a ton of tabs, windows and workspaces... and just have every site up all the time ;)

I know one guy who has, quite possibly, thousands of sites open in different windows, tabs and workspaces.

I stopped using bookmarks altogether--the only bookmarks I use are on the favorites bar.

I just create a new workspace instead of closing windows (actually, I usually do it by holding shift on startup). I got up to "Untitled Workspace 95" on my 10.3 partition on my machine at home.

Quote:
I stopped using bookmarks altogether--the only bookmarks I use are on the favorites bar.

I just create a new workspace instead of closing windows (actually, I usually do it by holding shift on startup). I got up to "Untitled Workspace 95" on my 10.3 partition on my machine at home.
Yeah, I haven't really used bookmarks for years. That said, I have started using them some again, but only in situations where I want to share them or if they're really important.

Hmm, maybe I need to play about with workspaces a bit. At the moment my way of working in Safari is that I bookmark pages, but 9 times out of 10 I have a rough idea of the URL, so I start typing it and it gets autocompleted. Hence my desire for this behaviour. Maybe it's a habit thing...
and I almost never type a web address in without the "www." despite the fact that you can do this in Safari and it works. It's just inaccurate (in my mind).

So, I guess this is quite a major suggestion (not really a request, I suppose) but it would be really cool to be able to set an order of priority for autocompletion, e.g.