The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I need 'OUT' ! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would be interested to learn how other Members 'delegate' actions to other individuals. I enter, on average, 200+ actions a day, of which probably 80%+ can be delegated to someone else. I normally wait until I have access to OmniFocus on my desktop and use drag-and-drop before dealing with these items. OK, I obviously would like some kind of 'share' facility within the App or the desktop program but any suggestions or experience by other Members on how best I could manage this would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-09 at 10:36 AM..

Yeah, I think OF is the wrong tool for the job here. It is not a multi-user collaboration tool at present and if you're delegating 160 tasks a day it's probably best if you can directly assign tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Yeah, I think OF is the wrong tool for the job here. It is not a multi-user collaboration tool at present and if you're delegating 160 tasks a day it's probably best if you can directly assign tasks.
I appreciate what you're saying CatOne. However, OmniFocus adds immense value to our workflow and I can't think of any other product that would do a better job.

OK, it isn't the end of the world that we have to wait until we're at our desktops to assign actions to each other manually via OmniOutliner, I was just wondering if anyone else had come up with any kind of workaround.

I did trawl the board before posting, noting that some users have succeeded in setting up shared databases, but other Members seem to think this isn't without significant risk. I'd be interested in the pros-and-cons.

In the past, we've tried emailing tasks into each others desktop OmniFocus program using the Mail rule, but found it unreliable, even ensuring that the email doesn't have any form of attachment still doesn't seem to guarantee that it will be successfully processed.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-10 at 12:10 AM..

The presence of an attachment isn't the only way the process can get tripped up. If the message is attachment-free, but not plain text, it also won't work. Some mail programs are all too happy to apply styling to the text you send.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The presence of an attachment isn't the only way the process can get tripped up. If the message is attachment-free, but not plain text, it also won't work. Some mail programs are all too happy to apply styling to the text you send.
Thanks whpalmer4. I spent hours scratching my head trying to figure out why forwarded emails didn't get added, even though they appeared to be just plain text! Apple's email App on the iPhone must be applying some form of styling to the original text in a forwarded message.

I'm now wondering if it would be possible to modify the bookmarklet script to work with emails, as a way to delegate tasks to other OmniFocus iPhone users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Delegating doesn't necessarily imply multi-user collaboration. The whole idea of delegating implies assigning a task and then following up to see it is completed with a subordinate.

I'd be happy if I could email an action to a subordinate. Be nice too if one could assign a contact from the addressbook to a context or an email to the context that would be used to populate the email that OF for iPhone could create.

Right now i do this on OF for Mac where I've written a script that emails a task to a person (creates a new email in Mail). When the email is sent, a notation is placed in the notes field. When they reply, I have it go into a smart mailbox so I can see what the reply is.

I've been dying to have the ability to email an action right out of OF for iPhone. Presently you can do this with Things, Appigo's ToDo and, I would presume, others. With in app email capability since iOS 3, and since many applications do this, I'd really like to see Omni jump on this one.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Delegating doesn't necessarily imply multi-user collaboration. The whole idea of delegating implies assigning a task and then following up to see it is completed with a subordinate.

I'd be happy if I could email an action to a subordinate. Be nice too if one could assign a contact from the addressbook to a context or an email to the context that would be used to populate the email that OF for iPhone could create.

Right now i do this on OF for Mac where I've written a script that emails a task to a person (creates a new email in Mail). When the email is sent, a notation is placed in the notes field. When they reply, I have it go into a smart mailbox so I can see what the reply is.

I've been dying to have the ability to email an action right out of OF for iPhone. Presently you can do this with Things, Appigo's ToDo and, I would presume, others. With in app email capability since iOS 3, and since many applications do this, I'd really like to see Omni jump on this one.

J.
JohnJ80,

Thank you for taking the time-and-trouble to respond.

I have examined other To Do/GTD products but none offer the industrial strength that OmniFocus has as its core feature. That doesn't stop me getting a touch of the green-eyed monsters at some of the import/export options that other Apps and their desktop equivalents currently offer.

I'd like to ask if you'd be willing to share your script with other users? Just for myself, although I'm guessing it would be true for most of my colleagues, it would be genuinely appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-11 at 07:42 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Thanks whpalmer4. I spent hours scratching my head trying to figure out why forwarded emails didn't get added, even though they appeared to be just plain text! Apple's email App on the iPhone must be applying some form of styling to the original text in a forwarded message.
The other way that the forwarded emails can fail to get added is if the desktop mail client isn't the first mail client to touch them. For example, suppose you send an email from an iPhone to an account that is read on both the iPhone and the desktop. Suppose you have that desktop machine set up to suck emails into OmniFocus. My experience is that the email won't make it to OF, because the iPhone touches the incoming message first and that prevents the script from running for the incoming message on the desktop.

It seems like the reliable solution is to ensure only plain-text messages, sent to an account that is only read on the desktop.

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2010-07-12 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
The other way that the forwarded emails can fail to get added is if the desktop mail client isn't the first mail client to touch them.
Thanks for this Curt. It's one of the things we learnt about by trial-and-error. As we attempted to find a solution to our delegate problem, we headed our emails to each other '--DNO' (standing for Do Not Open on your iPhone!) because of this flaw.

I have to confess that I find it a bit lame of Omni that they talk about Send to OmniFocus for other Apps yet don't implement it themselves!!

Appreciate you taking the time out to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Thanks for this Curt. It's one of the things we learnt about by trial-and-error. As we attempted to find a solution to our delegate problem, we headed our emails to each other '--DNO' (standing for Do Not Open on your iPhone!) because of this flaw.
In my experiments, it appeared that simply having the iPhone mail app be the first to download the message (didn't have to read it) was enough to cause the rule not to run on the desktop.

Also, the iPhone mail app doesn't forward plain text messages as plain text :(