The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Windows at work and Mac based GTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Like a lot of people I spend my day at work using Windows. Integrating my work day into my Mac-based GTD workflow has been a challenge and a real impediment to making GTD a life habit. To that end I've developed a couple complementary tools to help me out, one for Windows and one for Mac. Together they let me add tasks and information to my GTD system from my Windows workstation with just a few simple keyboard shortcuts.

With these tools you can add tasks to OmniFocus and/or save information from emails, web pages, and other documents. The data is transferred from Windows your your Mac either with scp or via Dropbox.

See the README file for a lot more detail about these tools. I've been using them for a while now and the improvement for me is impressive. It's so easy now to hit Win-O, type "work on something", and hit enter. Done. Task quickly added to the inbox without the need to navigate around or find the right window.

Once the tools are installed and running the following actions will be a keyboard shortcut away in Windows:
  • Add a task to OmniFocus using the currently active email or web page.
  • Add a web archive to Yojimbo
  • Add a web archive to Yojimbo and a related task to OmniFocus
  • Add a bookmark to Yojimbo
  • Add a bookmark to Yojimbo and a related task to OmniFocus
  • Add a note to Yojimbo
  • Add a note to Yojimbo and a related task to OmniFocus
  • Add a task to OmniFocus using a freeform Quick Input Panel
  • Add a note to Yojimbo using a freeform Quick Input Panel
Notes:
• Only plain text is allowed at this time.
• Some actions will only trigger when used within an appropriate application.
Attached Files
File Type: dmg Win2GTD-1.4.0.dmg (38.4 KB, 1970 views)

Last edited by GrumpyDave; 2011-03-02 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Updated file to v1.4.0

I've updated the file in the first post to v1.1
  • Added Internet Explorer support on Windows the same as Firefox.
  • Uses Growl on the Mac only if it's installed and enabled.
  • Reduced the pleonastic verbosity of the README file.

Have only just started experimenting with this, using the Windows-O and Windows-T functions.

It works well and should be really useful.

Thanks very much GrumpyDave!

GrumpyDave, this is pretty great. Thanks for posting it! I'll look and see if there's a bit we can flip to make disk images uploadable.

Okay, I see where I can turn them on, but disk images are (AFAICT) at a minimum, 7MB in size. That's an awfully big attachment. I think that's actually why .zip files are enabled but disk image files aren't.

Brian,

for an existence proof otherwise, see the attachment to this post. Created it with DropDMG.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Screen shot.png 2011-02-03.dmg.zip (74.5 KB, 1376 views)

Thanks Brian! The DMG contained in the attached ZIP file is only 40K. Created with DropDMG just like Bill's example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbag View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was starting to wonder if anyone was interested. I thought perhaps the prominent mention of Yojimbo was distracting from the fact that it's still useful for just OmniFocus users too (hence why I posted it here).

FWIW, even though it does what I need in its current state, I'm working on adding EagleFiler and DEVONthink support too. Umm, not that I'm supposed to be discussing future development plans or anything :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbag View Post
Have only just started experimenting with this, using the Windows-O and Windows-T functions.

Thanks very much GrumpyDave!
Not working for me. I think I installed everything right. I'm using dropbox and made the changes in the script to make that work. If I hit widows O I get the data entry screen. After I enter the data. I hit ok and it says Request qued. But when I look in the assigned dropbox folder, there's nothing in there.

Want to make sure the files were getting into the drop box before activating applescript and folder action. Have I done something wrong here?

TIA

Hmm, you should only receive the "Request Queued" message if the file was successfully written to disk. Can you paste exactly what your "SetWorkingDir ..." line is in the Win2GTD.ahk file? Can you also log in to the Dropbox website and check the list of deleted files to see if it thinks the file ever existed? You might want to temporarily point to a directory on your hard drive instead of Dropbox until we can figure this out.