The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing OPML (Outline Processor Markup Language) files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilajn View Post
Hi, I can't unzip this file. "Fehler 1 - der Vorgang ist nicht zugelassen." which means something like: Error 1 - this action is not allowed.
I have refreshed the file. (If there still seems to be a difficulty I will put it somewhere else).

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-02-27 at 01:30 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
I have refreshed the file. (If there still seems to be a difficulty I will put it somewhere else).
Extracts and runs here, at least. Interesting that the old zip file was 1 MB and the new one not even 1/10 of that!

Quote:
(If there still seems to be a difficulty I will put it somewhere else).

--
No poblem: It extracts, now. Thank you.

Hello,

I'm back because things didn't improve. Another application on my phone may cause the problems with the messed up linkIds.

I tried OPML2OF on a document without links and linkIds. It still ends up in the former mentioned errors. I wonder wether it might be a problem that I didn't buy Omnifocus directly at Omni but in the App-Store (yes, it is the OS X application, I didn't install an iPhone/Pod/Pad version).

For testing I attach an example OPML file that doesn't contain linkIds.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example English (original).opml.zip (1.1 KB, 409 views)

You might be right about that — Rob's script had some instances where it referred to app id com.omnigroup.OmniFocus and that isn't correct if you have the OmniFocus from the App Store.

I made a version of the script that uses the other form of address. You can download it and try it out to see if it works any better: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/971671/OPML2OF.zip

Let us know if that makes it work or not.

As a postscript, I have now amended the file to ver 0.6 which uses the form:

Code:
tell application id "OFOC" -- OmniFocus
which should, I think, be compatible with Appstore-purchased and directly-purchased versions of OmniFocus, and perhaps even (touches wood) OmniFocus 2, when it comes ...

If Omni are using variant bundle-identifiers for all their AppStore versions, then there may be quite a lot of these edits to make. Apple was arguing when OS X 10.5 was released that the switch to the id + bundle identifier form would be a good idea because developers were less likely to change the bundle name than the application name. This seemed to make sense:
Code:
tell application "OmniGraffle Professional 5"
for example, did look as if it might have a shorter shelf-life than:
Code:
tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniGrafflePro"
but 天有不测风云 (something like: 'the extreme sensitivity of non-linear systems to initial conditions makes them hard to model and predict' or just 'winds and clouds are hard to fathom' - though Google Translate offers a more extreme summary) and in retrospect it might have been more prudent to retreat to:
Code:
tell application id "OGfl" -- OmniGraffle
tell application id "OFOC" -- OmniFocus
tell application id "OOut" -- OmniOutliner
tell application id "OPla" -- OmniPlan
etc, but this seemed a bit illegible at the time ...

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-07-17 at 08:01 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post

Let us know if that makes it work or not.
Hooray! It works - unless the umlauts didn't import correctly. The source OPML file is in UTF-8 and e.g. TextEdit shows the umlauts correctly. I didn't find an option within OmniFocus to make it aware of UTF-8. May be I can use some text editor to work around this. But the less steps to perform the better it is. Is there a possibility to get the umlauts directly into OF?

It's the same with Rob's script OPML2OF ver 0.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilajn View Post
Hooray! It works - unless the umlauts didn't import correctly. The source OPML file is in UTF-8
Does the header of the OPML file specify UTF-8 ?

If not, it might be worth experimenting, in the script file, with changing the parse XML line, adding encoding "UTF-8" at the end.

Quote:
Does the header of the OPML file specify UTF-8 ?
Is this first line of the file correct?

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
With this line I don't get umlauts :-(