The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Row numbering Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
First off searching this forum for "row numbering" fails because the topic of "row numbering" is not 4 words long.

Secondly, and my real problem is that when I assign row numbering to a line or to all the lines, pressing tab to indent the next entry cancels row numbering on all indented lines? Um, WTF?

This is stupid and annoying.

Why do I have to set it on a new line, then create another and indent and then set it again?

This is crap. Is this a bug or intentionally bad design?

Every time I enter a line and indent, I have to reselect and reapply row numbering of 1, 1.1, 1.1.1.

Why does it not stick when I have set it for a item? Selecting all items and applying does not make it stick. New items created and indented all lose the formatting.

FYI, I'm using OO 3.6.2 (v143.19) updated in mid August 2007.

You want to set the numbering on the whole level, not an individual item.
1) Choose "Show Styles View" from the View menu.
This will add a column of dotted boxes to your document.
2) Click a dotted box in the header row of the document. This represents the style for all items at that level. This will select the items which currently are at that level, but will also apply to all items put into that level in the future.
3) When you've selected the dotted box for the level you want to modify, then you can go set numbering or any other styling option you want.
4) When you're done, choose "Hide Styles View" in the View menu.

I think "Turn on Automatic Level Styles" (in the Format menu) will cause Outliner to behave more like you expect -- if all Level 2 rows are legal numbered, it will make all new Level 2 rows legal numbered as well.