The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Two suggestions for old-style tabs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all!

I've done some searching and realize that the controversial old-style horizontal tabs can be a hot topic around here. However there are two things I'd like to share.

1. For users desiring the old-style tabs, I'd encourage you to email The Omni Group themselves. I've been informed by their support ninjas that they hold a continually growing database of user requested features. And whenever you email them with a request, they add your vote to their pool that helps guide them on what features to add in future releases. I'm not sure if the same holds true for requesting something on these forums. So a quick message asking for old-style tabs (or any other features you'd like), might be a better option to get yourself heard. Their staff can be contacted by the Send Feedback... item in OmniWeb's Help menu or, for users who have not yet paid for OmniWeb, by sending an email to omniweb5@omnigroup.com.

2. The second is something I found kind of interesting. This weekend I was setting up a new Windows system for a friend of mine - one I certainly tried to convert to OS X. Anyways during a Windows Update, I found a pretty neat feature in Internet Explorer 7, something I don't normally use. And I thought it'd be a cool feature to port to OW. It's called "Quick Tabs" and a screenshot is posted below. It's also covered briefly in this YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUXCH9LBI_s.

Here is the screenshot: http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2...ick8hq9df3.jpg

As you can see, it's a good mix of thumbnail tabs and old-style tabs. The tab drawer would be eliminated and horizontal tabs would be available per some users' requests, and yet tab thumbnails would be just a click of a button away. I think it would be a good addition to the tab drawer, and I'm not advocating this as a replacement.

Any feedback you guys have would be appreciated.

You can see how this works in Firefox using either the Tab Catalog [sic] or Firefox Showcase extensions. I use them on my work PC. Firefox Showcase is probably the way OmniWeb will head as it offers both a vertical thumbnail tab pane if you want one, or the thumbnail display in a window option, and/or a normal tab bar.

re point 2 - try out Shiira browser - they have a similar "tab expose" mode. they might even have beaten MS to ie (wouldnt surprise me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
You can see how this works in Firefox using either the Tab Catalog [sic] or Firefox Showcase extensions. I use them on my work PC. Firefox Showcase is probably the way OmniWeb will head as it offers both a vertical thumbnail tab pane if you want one, or the thumbnail display in a window option, and/or a normal tab bar.
Now THAT would be cool! I checked them out and Firefox Showcase seems to be especially well made. My personal opinion is that that would be an excellent addition to OW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revs
re point 2 - try out Shiira browser - they have a similar "tab expose" mode. they might even have beaten MS to ie (wouldnt surprise me!)
I've tried Shiira and think that the idea of tab expose was a great idea too, and I would also not be surprised if they had this option before MS.

It seems to me that the quick tab/showcase aren't all that different from the tab drawer OW already has.

Personally, I'd like to see something akin to Opera's support for selecting tabs using the mouse wheel. Hold down the right mouse button and scroll with the wheel, which will pop up a little menu containing a list of tabs in the current window, letting you switch between them quicke then having to move the mouse around to click.