The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chrome Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Google's Chrome? What does this mean for OW? Use it or loose it?

How about that "omnibox"? nice idea, eh?

I'd like to see all the safety and sandbox features of Chrome in OW, but would rather keep the graphical tabs, Omni style, and not use the Chrome/Google start page webapp.

Chrome is obviously meant to be a platform for running Google App, and future apps. It's their take on a browser-based OS.

I'll look at it, but I can care less about Google Apps. I prefer my apps to be on my hard drive, personally. I can see where it could be useful for some rich internet apps that use data, such as maps etc.

There are some very interesting ideas presented in the comic.

After reflecting on some of the user interface ideas, some already seem to be present in OW.

Not having been a programer in many years, I don't know what OW is like under the hood, so I don't know what OW might benefit from, and what is already there.

Perhaps since Chrome will be WebKit based, the benefits can be rolled into OW.

SC

I have been using Chrome all day on my Work PC. It is a joy to use.

It is incredibly fast, very slick, oh..and very fast! did i mention fast?

All of it is open source - so good to know that Omni can take a 'sneaky peek' ;-) at anything they want to if they want ideas.

Also - being Webkit based (and assuming google pass back any changes) this can only be a benefit for OmniWeb/Safari/iPhone etc as they all use the same rendering engine.

I'm not sure I can give up OmniWeb on my Mac once Chrome for OS X is available, I think i'd miss the features too much! But on my work PC it has replaced Firefox.

I only used Adblock and Flashblock, but Chrome is so fast that it doesnt bother me its loading ads - it doesnt slow it down.

I really love Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revs View Post
All of it is open source - so good to know that Omni can take a 'sneaky peek' ;-) at anything they want to if they want ideas.
Not QUITE all is Open Source – only “Chromium”[1], which Chrome is based on. But this includes the V8 JavaScript engine, which might be interesting for OmniGroup …

All in all, it’s nice to see some WebKit love on Windows. OW users will benefit from it, simply because more web designers will have to make sure their pages load and work fine on WebKit-based browsers (i. e. Chrome).

Cheers,
-Sascha

[1] http://code.google.com/chromium/

Looks like the WebKit team have improved on SquirrelFish to create SquirrelFish Extreme! The javascript wars are on! Will be interesting to see SquirrelFish Extreme vs Chrome V8 benchmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revs View Post
I hope not. That would be against the law. Taking a "sneaky peek" at open source code and then using that knowledge to develop closed source code would be a violation of the license agreement. (This applies only to GPL-style licenses.)

Last edited by vocaro; 2008-09-13 at 07:59 AM..

I think it's more complicated than that, since there is a relationship between the webkit source and those who use it in their products (Omni being just one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
I think it's more complicated than that, since there is a relationship between the webkit source and those who use it in their products (Omni being just one).
Hmm... Actually, it's simpler. I forgot that WebKit and Chrome are both released under a BSD-style license, not a GPL one, which means they are allowed to distribute changes in binary form only.

So I take back what I said. OmniGroup is indeed free to take a "sneaky peek" at Chrome's code and use it in OmniWeb.

Interface-wise, I'm already using OmniWeb as a nearly-invisible window from which I can operate my web apps. CMD+L brings up the location bar, and searches are a keyboard shortcut away, and OW has had full text history search for quite some time.