The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MobileMe "Root Transactions" problems [SOLVED: caused by iDisk syncing, see sticky.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It's almost like mobileme is throttling my upload speed?

I was able to get OF to sync, but when i synced with the iPhone, the application keeps crashing. When I attempted to sync again in OF, it's taking 30 min and still going. I haven't touched the data in OF on my desktop and am getting quite a few errors in the console.

This:
10/4/08 5:27:55 PM OmniFocus[381] Ignoring tail <XMLTransaction:0x224df890 20080711015934=ahNZKlnBKaV+luuhsc785Jz.zip> which can't reach a root in <XMLTransactionGraph: 0x208d0090>

and this...

10/4/08 5:27:55 PM OmniFocus[381] Disconnected transactions:
{(
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e1be0 20080711140049=hQekf0eUigo+pb2uvwRxZEq.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e0d90 20080711035611=jcKciyNhqGw+ao92Ihw3QzX.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e0690 20080711035250=mqEVHfklWfu+jcKciyNhqGw.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e0900 20080711022842=kL8CsHwgUlu+cg8L8FEErIy.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224df890 20080711015934=ahNZKlnBKaV+luuhsc785Jz.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e01d0 20080711015925=iH4x6PVd7ws+ahNZKlnBKaV.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e1610 20080711035944=d8EmFl0QJcZ+hQekf0eUigo.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224dffb0 20080711015907=i9h176qzRlM+iH4x6PVd7ws.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e0fb0 20080711035619=ao92Ihw3QzX+d8EmFl0QJcZ.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e0470 20080711020006=fzZNdkBBN0a+kL8CsHwgUlu.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e11d0 20080711035001=oc8M3yTjCGn+mqEVHfklWfu.zip>",
"<XMLTransaction:0x224e0a60 20080711024004=cg8L8FEErIy+lr7ds8sPYOq.zip>"
)}
in:
https://idisk.me.com/<myusername>/Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus/

This is working for me now. After resetting the MobileMe password and letting OF sync for a while, it's up and running. Still amazes me at how good at syncing OF is. Once it gets its footing, its beautiful to watch.

Hi All,
I have the same problem here too. I turned off my Idisk syncing and moved my OF folder from my Mobile Me site. Since I then had no back up of OF on MobileMe, my OF synced from my computer. Same error on my iPhone but after the new back up was done on Mobil Me, I was able to sync my iPhone. Both are working...for now!

I turned my iDisk syncing back on and again had the conflict where it wouldn't do a back up (the plan did not include OF backups; figured they were already backed up on MobileMe?) Because I've already spent way too much time trying to muddle through this "conflict/error", I just turned off my automatically scheduled backup program. Added making a new "plan" to see if that will work on my OF do list! Wondering if I even need an auto backup scheduled since I have Time Capsule that does a total back up of my computer throughout the day?

Gotta say... I REALLY like Omni Focus and have been using it since the app appeared on the App Store from the beginning. Felt the whole GTD thing was worthwhile and bought a license for my desktop computer; great having my "lists" at home and when away via my iPhone!! But these conflicts are quite trying for someone who just wants to use the program for personal productivity and not have to learn all the in's and out's of programming, bugs, conflicts, etc. Recently got home from a 10 day trip. Yep, you guessed it! My OF would not work; something had expired? Had to download the latest SneakyPeek and my data was available again. But then the SneakyPeek update a couple of days ago made the whole program die! That was fixed again downloading that fix and up and running again. Got tired of searching forums trying to figure out what my problems were and decided to join the forum to add my input. Wow... Another user name/password to remember!

Just my $.02. I just want the program to work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengnickle@comcast.net View Post

I turned my iDisk syncing back on and again had the conflict where it wouldn't do a back up (the plan did not include OF backups; figured they were already backed up on MobileMe?) Because I've already spent way too much time trying to muddle through this "conflict/error", I just turned off my automatically scheduled backup program. Added making a new "plan" to see if that will work on my OF do list! Wondering if I even need an auto backup scheduled since I have Time Capsule that does a total back up of my computer throughout the day?
What is your "automatically scheduled backup program"? It sounds like you turned MobileMe/iDisk sync back on in System Preferences? You will likely have problems with OmniFocus if you leave it that way...

Quote:
Got tired of searching forums trying to figure out what my problems were and decided to join the forum to add my input. Wow... Another user name/password to remember!
Check out the Keychain Access application on your Mac -- it will remember your usernames and passwords for you, securely.
Quote:
Just my $.02. I just want the program to work!!
Unlike the rest of us, who want something else? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What is your "automatically scheduled backup program"? It sounds like you turned MobileMe/iDisk sync back on in System Preferences? You will likely have problems with OmniFocus if you leave it that way...

Check out the Keychain Access application on your Mac -- it will remember your usernames and passwords for you, securely.
Unlike the rest of us, who want something else? :)
Hey whpalmer4,

Thanks for responding to my post! The "automatically scheduled backup program" is called "Backup" and comes with my iMac and part of OS X 10.5.5. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that a built in program that Apple advocates (backing up your computer) is incompatible with OF? I really don't want to have to choose which software program I can use (haven't we all done that enough with only being able to use limited Apple/Mac programs compared to PC's?). This program is now turned off (since I have frequent backups to my Time Capsule) but you are right, I did turn my iDisk back on and if this problem continues (so far, am able to sync without mishap), then I am left to choose which program(s) can run on my system (compatibility wise).

THANKS for the tip! I will check out the Keychain Access app. Something else to learn! :) I will say that I frequently get notices that my iMail is unable to access my email and that I have to re-enter my password (for my keychain). If that is the same thing, seems it isn't working very well (I probably have to re-enter my iMail password every few days even though I have checked "remember on my keychain"!)

Realize everyone just wants their programs to work; know you were only making light of my comment. But signing onto Omni Forums reminds me of my teen-age daughters FaceBook page! You can add a signature to your posts and/or set up an Avatar. Add another list of "Friends" and get involved in a "social group". Throw in some attachments or edit your profile picture... I just need OF to work like it has done since August so I can concentrate on my GTD lists. I would post an smilie icon but it would feel too much like MySpace or FaceBook! :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengnickle@comcast.net View Post
Hey whpalmer4,

Thanks for responding to my post! The "automatically scheduled backup program" is called "Backup" and comes with my iMac and part of OS X 10.5.5. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that a built in program that Apple advocates (backing up your computer) is incompatible with OF? I really don't want to have to choose which software program I can use (haven't we all done that enough with only being able to use limited Apple/Mac programs compared to PC's?). This program is now turned off (since I have frequent backups to my Time Capsule) but you are right, I did turn my iDisk back on and if this problem continues (so far, am able to sync without mishap), then I am left to choose which program(s) can run on my system (compatibility wise).
Ah, okay. Backup isn't the only backup program for the Mac, by a long shot, just so you know. There are references on the forum to the sync process between OmniFocus clients as being a backup, so I wanted to make sure we were all talking about the same thing!

The problematic area that I'm talking about is the built-in iDisk sync set up in the MobileMe preferences in the System Preferences. If you have that enabled AND are using OmniFocus to sync via MobileMe to your iPhone or other computers, you may have your data corrupted, for reasons not yet completely understood. Rereading your earlier posts, it sounds like you may have already encountered this, but after fixing it, turned the iDisk sync back on. There's really no reason for you to use that feature (MobileMe's iDisk sync) if you've only got one computer and an iPhone (especially when you aren't going to be using that computer cut off from internet access, like you might with a laptop); you can still use your iDisk without the syncing enabled. Turn it off and keep it off until Omni figures out what the problem is and how to prevent your data from being corrupted, and life will be better for you, I think. By the way, yes, I am saying that Apple software and Omni software are incompatible in some cases. For that matter, Apple software doesn't even always get along all that well with other Apple software! The Time Machine/Time Capsule backups interact poorly with Apple's Aperture image library, for example.

As for the "limited" choices of software for the Mac, the only time I feel limited is when I'm at my PC, and can't fire up any of my Omni applications, or Quicksilver, or use the Finder, or write Applescripts, or ... There is a very small set of PC-only programs that interest me, and I can run them in emulation with Parallels or VMware or Crossover, but I'm unaware of any options to run all the great Mac-only software on the PC.

Quote:
THANKS for the tip! I will check out the Keychain Access app. Something else to learn! :) I will say that I frequently get notices that my iMail is unable to access my email and that I have to re-enter my password (for my keychain). If that is the same thing, seems it isn't working very well (I probably have to re-enter my iMail password every few days even though I have checked "remember on my keychain"!)
Mail will ask you for the password again if it is rejected for some reason. That rejection may be for reasons out of your control, like a certain amount of ineptitude on the part of the people running your mail service, and not because Keychain didn't remember or supply your password correctly. If I know that the password in the keychain is right, I just hit cancel and try again later, because it may not work even if I type it correctly, and if I type it incorrectly, I may end up with the incorrect password in my keychain and then I'll always get that error! The keychain can be a big help in allowing you to have different, secure passwords for each web site, even if there are hundreds of them -- it's never a good idea to use the same password in multiple places!
Quote:
Realize everyone just wants their programs to work; know you were only making light of my comment.
I'd just listened to a Tom Lehrer album the other day containing a song called the Folk Song Army, which opens (click to listen):

We are the folk song army,
every one of us cares,
we all hate poverty, war and injustice,
unlike the rest of you squares!

I was reminded of it by your comment, for some reason :)
Quote:
But signing onto Omni Forums reminds me of my teen-age daughters FaceBook page!
My five-year-old watches too many BattleBots videos on Youtube, maybe I should get him interested in FaceBook instead? I'm sure your daughter is a nice kid, does she like younger men? :D

Im getting the same behavior with a webDAV on godaddy.com hosting.

I deleted the Omnifocus.ofocus folder and it wont re-sync.

It used to work until I started downloading the sneakypeek versions.

Any ideas ?

Last edited by jca98; 2008-10-29 at 10:40 AM..

I'd recommend emailing the support ninjas - we can get some debug info and look at the traffic between your machine and godaddy to figure out what's going on here.

The debug info can be fairly large - it tracks every read and write operation we try to do - so I don't want to force other forum visitors to scroll through all of it. :-)

Last edited by Brian; 2008-10-29 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: explain why emailing ninjas is better

I'm running OmniFocus 1.5 (v77.13.4.0.107002), and the app reports that this is the latest version. I still have the problem with syncing. Additionally, the script does not succeed and give me the following error:

Could not find an OmniFocus sync database at /Users/Master/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Synchronization Data/Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus

Note that I keep my OmniFocus database in a Documents folder on my iDisk. I have iDisk sync turned on in the MobileMe preferences, so the Mac treats the iDisk as a local drive. BTW, that's Mac OS X v10.5.5

I should also note that this error seems to have occurred only after my upgrade of the iphone app, if memory serves.

So, what do I need to do? Do I need to get the script to look somewhere else, somehow? Is there a process that will allow me to force some fix in OmniFocus? Any thoughts would be helpful. I'll be glad to provide any additional information that would help diagnosis.

Last edited by cmalin; 2008-11-22 at 05:12 PM..