The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Web Interface Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just tried setting up the OmniFocus Web Interface using those instructions and it worked great! The interface on the iphone is a little wonky but I was able to get it up and running without a hitch! Thanks for the heads up on that wiki!

JP

Glad it helped.

I just got access to this program today but unable to locate the web settings. No such option exists under Prefrences. Is it not in the latest build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedMac View Post
I just got access to this program today but unable to locate the web settings. No such option exists under Prefrences. Is it not in the latest build?
The web interface was removed in a build posted last night. The Message of the Day basically said that the attempted design didn't meet the needs of enough users and that the support necessary to make it work was too much. You could probably grab a build prior to 92555 if you wanted to get the interface working, but it is likely to go away altogether sometime in the future. See Help --> Message of the Day for more info.

Curt

Edit: The earliest build up there on the 9th still has the web interface, so I can test it out. Should have downloaded it before hastily posting!

Hi,

I just grabbed the build today, and there aren't any builds prior to the 9th available for download. I notice there is a way to deactivate the service from terminal- is there a way to activate it as well? Personally, I am comfortable with Dynamic dns and static ip's and already have it set up for a XAMPP installation on a PC running GTD-PHP- I would really like to at least try it, as having a standalone app with web access is pretty much my ideal setup (even if the web access is a little clunky), and I have high hopes for Omni Focus. Is there at least a link to an older version I could play with, or possibly have the web preferences pane activated via a setting somewhere else with big disclaimers?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Last edited by Dribbler; 2007-10-10 at 05:03 PM..

Folks, if you want the Web interface to continue, please write to OF support and let them know. They don't feel it's worth the effort to support... but for iPhone users it really rains on our parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribbler View Post
Edit: The earliest build up there on the 9th still has the web interface, so I can test it out. Should have downloaded it before hastily posting!

Hi,

I just grabbed the build today, and there aren't any builds prior to the 9th available for download. I notice there is a way to deactivate the service from terminal- is there a way to activate it as well? Personally, I am comfortable with Dynamic dns and static ip's and already have it set up for a XAMPP installation on a PC running GTD-PHP- I would really like to at least try it, as having a standalone app with web access is pretty much my ideal setup (even if the web access is a little clunky), and I have high hopes for Omni Focus. Is there at least a link to an older version I could play with, or possibly have the web preferences pane activated via a setting somewhere else with big disclaimers?

Thanks in advance,

Simon
There might not be big disclaimers, but if you'd like to reactivate the Web Interface preference pane, this can be accomplished by quitting OmniFocus and pasting the following into Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface.visible -bool true
We can't promise that this will be around forever, but we didn't want to take it away from those who've already got it setup - especially while we don't yet have another means to sync to your iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post
Folks, if you want the Web interface to continue, please write to OF support and let them know. They don't feel it's worth the effort to support... but for iPhone users it really rains on our parade.
I apologize if you got the impression that we don't feel the web interface is worth supporting. We do our best to support everything we make to the best of our ability. However, not only does this require the knowledge of each individual network setup (which we cannot gain) but it's not quite the solution for which we were hoping and we will be pursuing other avenues to find a more viable method (in addition to mobile syncing via iCal and printing).

As I mentioned, we're not removing the interface for those who are already using it. If you've already installed it, it will remain there while we look for a better solution. If you'd like to reveal the preference pane, please give the aforementioned default a try. :)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2007-10-12 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Formatted the line of code so it doesn't have an extra space

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebot View Post
can be accomplished by quitting OmniFocus and pasting the following into Terminal:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface. visible -bool true
I can't say that I'm an expert in using the Terminal, but I can't seem to make this work… those two lines are supposed to be one argument, correct? When I paste it as such, I get:

2007-10-12 06:22:22.695 defaults[13034] Unexpected argument -bool; leaving defaults unchanged.

It seems to accept both:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface. -bool true
and:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface. visible
but neither has any effect that I can see in the preferences pane…

Help!

Thanks,

J

Last edited by jet14; 2007-10-12 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: now using "code" tag to make post more clear

J,

I suspect a stray space crept in that command. It looks like the command should be:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface.visible -bool true
Also note that you need to quit OF before running the command.

Curt

Curt,

That extra space was the problem! I didn't know about the "code" tag you used on this, but it's a great way to keep these sorts of problems from cropping up. (I liked it so much I went back and used it on my original post! :-)

Thanks!

J

P.S. Kudos for not "correcting" my odd usage of an unadulterated letter as a nickname; VERY few people pick that up without prompting ;-)

Last edited by jet14; 2007-10-12 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: detailed modification of prior post