The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Column instead of drawer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I could change one aspect of Omniweb, it would be to have the tab thumbnails appear in a column within the window rather than a drawer. It is my only real pet peeve with the program, but it keeps it from being my default browser.
 
There's been a LOT of discussion about this, but I'm with you - the physical appearance of the drawer is huge turn off for me on what would be my default browser. I'm hoping that OW 6.0 uses a sidebar instead, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting a long time for that. We're coming up to 4 years since the first public beta of Omniweb 5, and I've been hoping for interface improvements ever since.

(cue a member of Omnigroup to tell me that I'm wrong, and that 6.0 is just around the corner!...)
 
I like the flexibility of the drawer and don't think a sidebar is a functional improvement.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
I like the flexibility of the drawer and don't think a sidebar is a functional improvement.
What's to say that a sidebar can't have the same functionality? I see a sidebar as being a visual, rather than functional improvement.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks View Post
What's to say that a sidebar can't have the same functionality? I see a sidebar as being a visual, rather than functional improvement.
As long as the functionality stays same, I'm fine with it.

All the examples people provide as what they would like it to work like, I don't like. Mail.app for example - it doesn't go away. I don't want it there if it contains nothing. Or iTunes, it's persistent there too.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
All the examples people provide as what they would like it to work like, I don't like. Mail.app for example - it doesn't go away.
Command-shift-M

Sidebars can be hidden just as easily as drawers. I like the idea of switching to a sidebar; consistency with the rest of OS X (now that it actually is starting to look somewhat consistent as a whole) would be a good thing.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ata View Post
Command-shift-M

Sidebars can be hidden just as easily as drawers. I like the idea of switching to a sidebar; consistency with the rest of OS X (now that it actually is starting to look somewhat consistent as a whole) would be a good thing.
Ah, didn't know that. Still, all that does is widen the message viewer area. It doesn't remove the area the sidebar is.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks View Post
I see a sidebar as being a visual, rather than functional improvement.
I'm with you. I hate drawers.
 
The functionality and the look of the Stand sidebar would be fine, as long as it had the same functionality as the current OW drawer.

Which it apparently does. Plus it has a long-requested feature -- double-click an empty space to make a new tab.

Last edited by Handycam; 2007-11-08 at 05:05 PM..
 
One functional benefit of a column over a drawer is that the toolbar would not have to change size when switching to tabbed browsing. For me, jumping to tabbed browsing currently makes my bookmarks bar take up a second line--sort of annoying.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hoisting: Matching Column with Sections in Utility Drawer professoralves OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 2 2012-03-28 10:45 AM
Paste from Word Column to OO Column jhlindstrom OmniOutliner 3 for Mac 1 2011-02-10 03:05 PM
5.9.2, Tab drawer bug OmniGuy OmniWeb Bug Reports 1 2009-03-16 08:05 AM
Tab Drawer P.K. OmniWeb General 2 2007-11-26 11:42 AM
tab drawer on second screen b3nj4m OmniWeb Feature Requests 0 2007-01-26 06:39 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.