The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to use OF with GMail? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am looking for a way to turn an email into an action in OmniFocus. When I process my mail inbox, there are a lot of messages I either have to reply to, or do something else about, and I would like to track these in OF.

I use Gmail, and the way I do this now is to apply a label (either "@reply" or "@pending") to each of these emails. The problem with this of course, is that it creates two separate places to track actions from, labels in Gmail and OF actions. It would be a lot easier if it were all in one place.

On page 32 in the OF 1.5 manual, there is a section on processing mail messages into actions. But this seems to chiefly adress situations where you don't have access to OF (e.g. when you're at another computer), and to be written only for Mail.app users.

I have also searched around the forums for Gmail related stuff. The most relevant I found was this thread that refers to a standalone app for Gmail called Mailplane. The app looks nice enough, but I'm not sure whether it does exactly what I need, or whether I need it at all.

So I want to throw this question out there:
Does anyone know of a simple way to get a mail message in Gmail into OF as an action?

(And by "simple" I mean with as few keystrokes as possible, and preferrably with no use of the mouse.)

One possibility would be to load your Gmail account in Mail in IMAP. Would work with no action required from you and will not mess you Gmail "web" account, but the inconvenience is that you would have to have Mail open in order to have tasks be moved automatically to OmniFocus.

(in any case, loading Gmail in IMAP (and *not* the default pop3) in Mail is generally a good idea: spotlight indexation, integration with iPhoto, AddressBook, etc.... all this without messing with your original Gmail mails (while POP3 *will* not have your email synced))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satri View Post
in any case, loading Gmail in IMAP in Mail is generally a good idea: spotlight indexation, integration with iPhoto, AddressBook, etc.
I had no idea – thanks for the tip!
Quote:
you would have to have Mail open in order to have tasks be moved automatically to OmniFocus
Now you're talking about Gmail's task function, right? That's not what I'm using at present. I could use it, I guess, but there doesn't seem to be a keyboard shortcut in Gmail for creating a task from an email (as there is for applying a label), and then it would be a bit too slow I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbro View Post
Now you're talking about Gmail's task function, right? That's not what I'm using at present. I could use it, I guess, but there doesn't seem to be a keyboard shortcut in Gmail for creating a task from an email (as there is for applying a label), and then it would be a bit too slow I think.
If you use gmail away from your mac, you could install the OF mail rule on your mac forward the message to yourself with "+omnifocus" in the email address, and it would then be auto-added to OF when your mac checks your mail.

If you use your email on your mac, you could just use "Add to OF" from the services menu from the email application you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbro View Post
You can set up OmniFocus' clipping shortcut, and use it when viewing a message in Gmail's web viewer. There isn't a clipping plug-in like there is for Apple's Mail app, so you don't get the text of the message inserted as you would if you allowed Mail to load your Gmail messages and clipped from Mail, but you do get the subject line and a link which will open the message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	1569
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	1276
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1110  

Thanks, whpalmer4. That would work I think. I'm having some trouble getting the clipping shortcut to work for some reason, but that's another issue (might be related to my not having upgraded to OF 1.7 yet).

What about Mailplane, though -- does anyone have experience using their OF plugin? If so, what are the benefits compared to using the browser in this particular context?

If you are on a Mac with Leopard, download Fluid.app and make yourself an SSB for Gmail. Turn on the "Title Tweaks" option in the google labs part of gmail.

Download iNik's Omnifocus URI Handler app/script

Then save the "Send to OF" bookmarklet as a link on the bookmark bar in your Fluid SSB.

Now, when you have a message open in gmail, if you click the Send to OF bookmarklet, it will create an event in your in book with the subject of the message as the name of the event and a url in the notes field that will take you directly back to that message.

Net result: The SSB gives gmail that behaves more like a stand alone app, and it interconnects with OF.

Or if you don't need the SSB, or you are using Tiger, just do the steps above with the URI Handler Script and bookmarklet in you regular browser.

Thanks, kingsinger! Fluid was new to me. Looks interesting.

Does anyone know how I can assign a keyboard shortcut to the "Add to OF" bookmarklet, in Fluid or Firefox?

And does anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons for Fluid v Mailplane (other than Fluid's obvious advantage in being free)?

Yes you can add keyboard shortcuts for the bookmarklets by going to system preferences>keyboard and mouse>keyboard shortcuts.

Just create an application specific shortcut, enter the name of the bookmarklet, and assign a key command to it (I used control-T in Fluid).

I got the the URI handler bookmarklet to work in Firefox, after using kaijin's fix. However, I can't get the keyboard shortcut to work. When I press it, the Bookmarks menu item lights up for a second, but nothing happens…