The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle -> OF mind map possibility Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Whoops, I posted this originally saying OmniOutliner, when I meant OmniGraffle.

When I attended David Allen's Roadmap seminar, he showed his different perspectives, such as 10k up to 50k

http://www.davidco.com/blogs/michael...f_focus_1.html

... in an electronic mind map. Each perspective was nested, allowing drilling down or up.

An example is at about 16:58 in this video:

http://www.davidco.com/mindmanager/mm_replay.html

I don't recall if he included his Runway perspective ((next) actions) in his mind map, i.e., if this system was completely integrated or not through his action level (I think he said he used either Palm or Notes for actions).

I found David's perspectives 'model', and the use of mind mapping software to manage them, appealing.

Here's my wild product idea. Add to OmniGraffle the ability to use a mind map to have nested levels, and then be able to link to OmniFocus actions. Obviously there are some issues to think about, such as OF Folders, Projects, etc.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2008-05-24 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: I originally stated OmniOutliner when I meant Graffle. Doh!

Alas, mind maps are the essence of Mind Manager, not OmniOutliner -- and now with MM 7, you can roll mind maps into outlines and back, which owns OO 3, IMHO. Although I own OO 3, since MM 7 I find it's much more fun to use both the maps and outlines interchangeably. My OO 3 collects dust, especially since all todo-like features are taken over by OmniFocus. The only good use of OO was the discount for OF -- and which was too small.

I agree about having a proper mind mapping tool. It's the obvious hole in the Omni suite of products.

Have you tried using one of the brainstorming templates in OmniGraffle to build mind maps? OmniGraffle has a built-in outlining pane, and you can work in either the outline or the graph and see your changes instantly reflected in the other view.

Bob -

YES, PLEASE! The more cross functional integration the better.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Have you tried using one of the brainstorming templates in OmniGraffle to build mind maps? [...]
I meant to do that (he says in Pee Wee Herman style ;). I really meant OmniGraffle, not OmniOutliner (sorry), but I could only change the body of my original post -- the title indicated it would be changed in the forum edit window, but no luck.

So, yes, I would like to use OmniGraffle, and my new product idea is to somehow link my projects and singletons in OF to OG mind maps. It would be great if OG could nest layers, like the Windows version of MindManager does (for the GTD 50k, 40k, etc., levels of horizon).

That said, I must confess that the mind map of my life does not match 1:1 with projects. I.e., my projects probably can be considered as supporting my mind map stuff, but my projects in some cases support multiple things in my mind map.

This calls for a more serious review (for at least me to do) of the relationship of Projects and Actions to levels of horizon above the GTD runway. Perhaps Projects and Singleton Actions do directly support 10k feet horizons, and then the relationship between 10k up to 50k could be handled in the mind map segment. And here, I'm speaking of both the GTD theory, as well as possible Omni integration.

GTD, and using OF to support it, has been the most productive and engaging thing I've use in many years, in terms of productivity stuff, and I'm pretty excited about the integration of mind maps with my projects/actions.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2008-06-04 at 08:22 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
I really meant OmniGraffle, not OmniOutliner (sorrry), but I could only change the body of my original post
Oh, OK! I've fixed that.

Quote:
This calls for a more serious review of considering the relationship of Projects and Actions to levels of horizon above the GTD runway. Perhaps Projects and Singleton Actions do directly support 10k feet horizons, and then the relationship between 10k up to 50k could be handled in the mind map segment.
That seems like a very reasonable approach to me.

Me too. It would be super to have ability to build project supporting information in picture form, and tie them to OmniFocus actions/projects. There are products out there that do something similar - several mindmap products have the concept of mindmaps for projects, plus mapping links to nested actions etc. Not an easy thing to do well, I'm sure, and whereas they do mindmaps well they do tasks not-so-well.

I find OmniGraffle's layouts to be not quite right for mindmaps, though they are good for so many other things. It does pretty well in managing the outline, however, and this is especially useful when you get your head around the 'Diagram Styles' feature.

the synergistic integration of omni products is so obvious and so tantalisingly close that i can't imagine it'll be too long before the separate apps become modules in an integrated app, either literally or via transparent linking between open omni apps.

it is sometimes necessary to use competing products because of the gaps in the omnisphere (eg mindmapping, container/project apps such as curio), but i like the company and the (mostly) elegant interfaces, so i'll hold out for the time when there is no reason to go outside omni apps for brainstorming and mindmapping, task and project management, information visualisation etc.

omniview or whatever it would be called would allow fluid movement between the existing core modalities, allowing manipulation of any piece of data in and between any context, from visual overview to gantt chart to outline to micro task management.

looking forward to that...

Last edited by elektroglide; 2009-03-02 at 03:13 PM..