The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Request: Tips for Using OF on iPad for a long time OF Desktop User Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using the Mac version of OmniFocus since before it was OmniFocus. (Anyone remember Kinkless GTD?) I've recently taken a new job that requires me to use a Windows machine at work, so during the workday I'll have to use OmniFocus for iPad. I'm still using OF for Mac at home, and I sync OF between the Mac and iPad via WebDAV.

I'd like to hear some tips and tricks from people that have had to make a similar transtion, from primarily using OF on Mac to using OF on iPad.

One particular thing I'd like to know: how do you handle getting URLs to OF on iPad from a computer (Windows) that doesn't have OF?

Thanks for any tips and tricks you can share!

1. There's a bookmarklet included with OF/iPad to enable you to send a Safari/iPad URL to Omnifocus. So you could, for example, email the url from the Windows machine to your personal email account, and then open it from iPad Mail into Safari.
2. I work in exactly this environment. My top tip is to take the time to set up relevant perspectives on the Mac so you can see exactly what you ant to see on the iPad (you can't create perspectives on the iPad).

I have a similar problem.
I use OF on Mac at home, and OF on iPad/iphone at work (my workplace is windows lands).

At work, majority of my action items comes from emails and we use Windows Outlook 2010 email client.

Everyday I will mark all emails that require actions with "Now,Next,Later,Waiting for" labels while reference emails are moved to general reference folders, and emails with no values are trashed, keeping my Inbox with 0 emails everyday (Inbox should just be a processing container).

My BIGGEST dilemma is whether I should be moving all these actions that i marked in Outlook into my OF iPad so i can have a single task management system?

Should i be trashing these emails after i typed into my iPad OF?
Typing into OF will take alot more time, and having to decide to keep the emails or not takes time too.

However I want to be able to mark and track the "Waiting for" emails as soon as the delegate replies.

Currently I am keeping 2 systems, OF and my Outlook tasks, which is not a good GTD practice.

The best solution would be having a Windows OF but i doubt this is going to happen anytime soon.

Meanwhile, can someone share with me their experiences working in a Windows workplace with iPad/iphone OF? How do you handle emails action items?

I use my tasks in Microsoft Outlook (which now sync with iOS Reminders in iOS 6) to add tasks to OF from my Windows machine at work (a pseudo quick capture hack that works remarkably well) via capturing those on my iPad w/ Reminders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animgif View Post
I use my tasks in Microsoft Outlook (which now sync with iOS Reminders in iOS 6) to add tasks to OF from my Windows machine at work (a pseudo quick capture hack that works remarkably well) via capturing those on my iPad w/ Reminders.
Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you go into details on how to set this up?
What is the pseudo capture hack that you used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you go into details on how to set this up?
What is the pseudo capture hack that you used?
Here's a good link explaining the process. Really easy to set up and it works really well.

http://tobolaski.sqsp.com/2012/addin...s-from-windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animgif View Post
Here's a good link explaining the process. Really easy to set up and it works really well.

http://tobolaski.sqsp.com/2012/addin...s-from-windows
It seems like this solution require device with Siri (reminder integration).
I have iPad 3 and iphone 4 both do not support Siri.

I could not see the pictures in the link you sent.

I do however see my Outlook tasks in my iPad/iPhone reminder. How do i import these into my omnifocus?

Sorry about the pictures, for some reason squarespace has been flaky about the pictures in some of my posts (One of the reasons that I've switched away from them).

Yes, this does require a device with Siri. This is only due to how the Omnigroup has it setup. They only give you access to the option to enable the reminders capture on a device that has siri. Unless they change their mind on that, this is one case where it would make sense, you're out of luck.