The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbie asks: How to create Level 5? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please excuse this dumb question. Downloaded the trial license version of OO Pro.

Working with Book Draft template, which has four levels. Need to add a fifth.

Been scouring the PDF and forums for clues, but can't figure out how to add a fifth level. Typed 'create level' into the help menu. Nothing.

Indent doesn't do it -- it's greyed out.
Move only goes left when I select a child of Level Four; it doesn't go right.

One forum entry makes reference to a doc with five levels.

What's the secret?

Thank you. I only have 20 hours left to try out this product. Any help would be appreciated.

I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Book Title (level 1)
Chapter Title (Level 2)
Subhead (Level 3)
Sub-subhead (Level 4)
Items numbered sequentially from 1 through whatever from beginning to end of multiple-chapter doc (Level 5)

Is this possible? [I want to test a suggestion I read on this forum about numbering individual levels. I need to see if the numbering of Level 5 will run sequentially throughout the document, and if I move things around within Level 5, if the numbering will automatically correct itself.]

Last edited by BurningHives; 2006-12-17 at 02:03 AM..

Hi BurningHives-

It's a little hard to tell what's going on with the book template because the handles are turned off. To create a level 5 row, you'll need a level 4 row, insert a new row under it and push the tab key or select Indent from the Reorganize menu. The book template doesn't actually have any level 4 rows by default.

Indent will be grayed out when you're at the deepest level row that exists at in that branch. Indenting such a row would result in skipping a row level between two rows which isn't allowed. For there to be a level 5 row, it must have a level 4, 3, 2, and 1 row as a parent/grandparent/etc.

Let me know if you need anymore help with this.

--
Derek M.
Support Engineer
The Omni Group

Thank you for your help.

It doesn't appear that I can sequentially number a particular level from Chapter 1 throughout Chapter, say 14. The numbering starts over at "1" each time the particular level is invoked anew.

Ah well... I was hoping for a Word-killer. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHives
Thank you for your help.

It doesn't appear that I can sequentially number a particular level from Chapter 1 throughout Chapter, say 14. The numbering starts over at "1" each time the particular level is invoked anew.

Ah well... I was hoping for a Word-killer. :(
Hi, BurningHives,
I think what you need to do is turn on the row handles ... open the drawer, select the "Level 1 rows" go to the inspector and in the Row:Advanced pane, click in the "Always" rather than "Under mouse"; do that for level 2 rows and level 3 rows. That will show you the hide/disclose triangles.
You will see is that level 3 is currently set to be the level of the text itself ... as it were level 1 is the title, 2 is chapter, 3 is text. What you need to do is change that so that level 3 becomes a section, then you can create a child level by the technique that Derek explained which will be level 4, which you can either use for the text, or for subsection, in which case create a level 5 for your text.
You reset the row parameters, whether they have numbers or not--currently level 3 has no numbers--and if so the type of number with the Row Inspector, and the font and style with the Appearance Inspector.
When you've got it all set the way you want, save it as a template, so you can call it up again and again.
For your numbering problem, you have to be at the right level. For this purpose, having the hide/disclose triangles visible makes it easier to see what you're doing. If you are in a level 2 row--the chapter level--click the triangle to hide the child rows. If you now hit return, a new level 2 row will open with the next number in the sequence to the one you were in when you created it. It does work on my machine, I promise you! I've just tried it using the template.
You can do the same by just hitting return when you're in a text row and then using Shift-Tab to move the new row up one--or however many levels in the hierarchy you need--and the numbering works fine for me.
HTH
Mark :)

Mark,

THANK YOU for your helpful reply. I just spent a hour and a half trying everything you said and couldn't do any of it because the Row-Advanced Inspector was greyed out.

Couldn't figured it out.

Under one of the menus the Automatic Level Styles was checked. I unchecked it, and got a message that the unlicensed copy did not permit editing more than 20 rows, which I already have for this book test. Wont even let me delete.

So I guess I didn't get it done within the 24 hour limit.

I'm going to save your explanation in the event I buy this program at some point. Thank you again for the time you took to respond to me.

OK Mark and Derek,

Here's what I GET:

Chapter 1
Subhead
Sub-Subhead
1 item
2 item
3 item
4 item
5 item

Chapter 2
Subhead
Sub-Subhead
1 item
2 item
3 item
4 item
5 item

=========================

Here is what I WANT:

Chapter 1
Subhead
Sub-Subhead
1 item
2 item
3 item
4 item
5 item

Chapter 2
Subhead
Sub-Subhead
6 item
7 item
8 item
9 item
10 item

Is it possible? [This assumes the ability to re-number]

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHives
OK Mark and Derek,
Here is what I WANT:
Chapter 1
Subhead
Sub-Subhead
1 item
2 item
3 item
4 item
5 item
Chapter 2
Subhead
Sub-Subhead
6 item
7 item
8 item
9 item
10 item

Is it possible? [This assumes the ability to re-number]
Thanks.
I'm sorry, I got things completely the wrong way round, in particular since that seems a very unusual thing to want.
I guess that's a question for Derek really, but it seems to me that it's not possible directly in OOPro. A "restart numbering from/continue numbering" option in the row inspector would probably be immensely useful in many ways so I'll put it in as a formal request for a future upgrade if it's not there already.
In the meantime, since you're really looking for a Word-killer, have you tried Mellel or Nisus Writer Express. Mellel has had outlining and many other tools built in for some time ... I just haven't been able to get on with the UI.
Nisus Writer Express has the ability to continue numbering or restart numbering in list styles which does the job well, but hasn't had outlining as such. Many people have been asking for that, and it seems that Nisus Writer Pro--due out in a few weeks time--will have outlining as well as TOC generation, indexing and other goodies.
Mark

Custom numbering start points is something we may be adding in the future.

--
Derek M.
Support Engineer
The Omni Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Custom numbering start points is something we may be adding in the future.

--
Derek M.
Support Engineer
The Omni Group
I spend about 2 days a week in OO Pro. The lack of renumbering is the greatest shortfall. I have to work around this problem weekly. I was re-checking this forum just to see if this feature has come and I somehow failed to notice. I see this "something we may be adding in the future" message that is now 3 1/2 years old. Come on, guys. Surely it doesn't take an entire presidential term to add a single "frequently requested feature."

PS: What's the work-around? Turn off automatic numbering at the level that has to be renumbered, and then type in the numbers manually.