The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$20 for OF app in iPhone apps store Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It's entirely feasible that people could buy Omnifocus just for their iPhone/touch.

It's been developed as a whole new app on that platform, taking quite some time & resources to do and so it is perfectly reasonable that Omni Group should charge for it.

I can't understand the people who whine about software when it's this cheap. Let's put it into perspective guys, I paid that much for a chinese takeaway last night.

$20 / £12.99 here in the UK is just pocket money for an awesome app.

Get some perspective fellas eh?

This was the first app I bought off the App Store. If it's not worth it to you or you think it's "outrageous," don't buy it.

gimme a break... you can afford a $70 monthly fee from your phone company but you can't shell out 20 measly bucks once for a great application?

People like that make me sick...

Yes, thanks, Brian for helping clarify things. I too will certainly purchase (am waiting to purchase anything until the iPod Touch update is out) and was just hoping not to pay the full price as I had already paid for the Mac version. Looking at it from a functionality perspective, $20 is definitely a fair and reasonable price. Especially considering it is really a full featured standalone app, that just happens to sync.

I LOVE OF.

But, I have to say I am a bit disappointed. I was hoping to see iphone OF around $9.99. Particularly for those of us that paid 80.00 for the full application.

I'll likely buy it but I don't feel good about it.

I don't know about all of the technical issues in play, but it's myself, as a prospective buyer of OF for my desktop, paying for both applications (desktop and iPod Touch) to get full functionality.

As an alternative to fussing with unsupported app store features, what about giving, for a limited time, a promotional $5 or $10 iTunes gift card to people who are purchasing the desktop app? That would certainly soften the blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMke View Post
Its really $20 to be able to mark something as done.
You can also add new items on the go, remember what errands you need to do without hauling your laptop around...

Also, keep in mind that the location-based features will work on an iPod Touch; it just omits the phone network and uses WiFi exclusively to figure out your location.

I can't believe how cheap some people are. How much is your productivity worth to you? $20 is next to nothing for so valuable an app - that's like, less than half of one hour of my hourly rate, in return for months or years of increased productivity, countless hours saved for more important things (i.e. thousands of dollars I probably wouldn't have had otherwise). I spent half this much on just one meal yesterday, and that's long gone now.

I love free (and especially open source) software projects as much as the next guy, but this isn't one of them, and that's ok. And we're mostly all Mac users around here - I don't know about you, but I'm willing to pay a bit more than the average windows/linux user in return for all the great things I get from the Mac platform. Same goes here - if this is the best product of its kind, then I'm willing to pay a fair price for it, and like my Mac, it will go the distance in making my experience and the cost of entry worthwhile. If I had to pay less than about $15 for this app I think I might feel guilty. If it were over $20 it might cause me a little delay to think about it, but I'm sure I'd pay more if necessary (and hey, I'm glad I don't have to). When the best software for the job costs money, I am perfectly happy to pay for it - in fact I've bought programs such as Apple Logic Studio for over $500. That program lets me "get things done" in another area of my life, and so it's worth every penny.

Good work OmniFellas :D I look forward to getting an iPhone in the coming weeks and making my dream of streamlined ubiquitous capture come true :P I've been awaiting the new iPhone, app store, and OmniFocus for iPhone like a kid waiting for Christmas morning :D

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by keysplayer; 2008-07-10 at 12:04 PM..

The users that are sick of hearing complaints need to add one items to their OmniFocus - "Learn to read." Follow that up with "Open eyes and look around"

When you pay a relatively high price of $80, you expect that the developers will be honorable and provide the iPhone application at a less greedy price. Omni developers are the not the only ones that need money. If excellent GTD apps like Things (http://culturedcode.com/things/) can cost $50 for both desktop and iPhone apps, then how come Omni can charge twice as much?

For those feeling intelligent by saying that you don't need to subsidize iPhone users, how come you are paying four times as much as Ghost Action (http://ghostparksoftware.com/) for the exact functionality PLUS synchronization (not with iphone yet, but with other PDAs and .mac)?

Its true that the market will decide what's a "fair price" but I think I'll put my weight behind Things because not only does it work much better but has a much cleaner, simpler UI. Keep feeling happy about the $100 that Omni deserves, maybe even donate them some. Its asinine not to support another company with a equal or arguably better software for $50, including their iphone application.

I was testing this software for over 2000 Mac users (with many of them using iPhones). Guess who we will approach for an enterprise license? At that scale, I'm paying half with Things compared to "they need bread on the table" Omni developers. Honestly, I'm disappointed because Omni has always been fair on pricing.

Last edited by Anjan; 2008-07-10 at 12:16 PM..

I'm thrilled and happy to pay $20 for this application. Thank you so much OmniGroup!