The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SPAM is getting annoying!!! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Isn't there a better way to moderate new users posts? Yes, I see the "leave spam here" thread, that's cute, but doesn't address the real issue of the spam. I've posted a few comments/questions only to get follow up via email that is spam.

Can these posters be banned (I realize it's probably a 'bot) or a more strict moderation of new members, or better pre-screening forum software?

I've reported several posts already with the 'kick me' button and sent email to OF Support email as well.

Thanks.

I can definitely agree with you here, harringg. We've had a major uptick in the last few weeks with spambots that, apparently, get stuck in a loop.
I'll bring it up today — perhaps we can change requirements for new users.

Edit: Brian just made some changes to registration, so we'll _hopefully_ be seeing a lot less spam. We'll soon see.

Last edited by derekr; 2011-02-22 at 01:34 PM..

Yeah, we ban the spammer accounts and remove their posts as we find them, but they just come back and make more accounts. We made a change to the account setup process that should make it harder for the spam bots to create accounts.

In the meantime, please continue to report spam posts. We find them equally annoying. :-)