The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF Overload - Where to put my project notes? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using OF since Day 1 and along with task management, I've been using it to keep all kinds of notes about my various projects. (I'm a photographer making a book and exhibition). Now that OF exists on my iPad and iPhone, I love having all of my data in one place.

My problem is that OF has become bloated with TMI (too much information) and I'm using it as much as a project management app as a Task Manager. One thing that has helped recently is creating a "Note" context, which I can assign my project notes to and then filter this context out of various views.

Part of me yearns for a lean/clean OF and getting my hundreds of notes into some dedicated project manager. Wondering if others have similar problems and what kind of solutions are out there. I know Evernote is popular and exists on all devices, but wondering what else is out there. Of course Evernote>OF communication would be great if that happens.

I personally use Yojimbo to store notes. I like it aesthetically much better than Evernote. However syncing is more of a challenge at the moment (you have to use Dropbox, unless you have MobileMe and are not yet using iCloud).

If you can deal with Evernote, there's a very good article on using the two together here:

http://www.asianefficiency.com/task-...-and-evernote/

I'd agree that OF is not the best place for storing scads of notes.

I find it works well to keep the verbs in OmniFocus and the nouns in DevonThink. They link to each other well, and the linkages can be automated by scripts.

I've been using the Trunk Notes wiki app on my iPhone/iPad.

It's easy to add links from an OF task to TN note (tn://NoteName). The notes themselves live in Dropbox and are formatted as markdown.

There's no desktop app yet (one in development aparrently) but you can just edit the files in your Dropbox folder.

I've been really impressed with it so far, and if you're familiar with the concept of WIKIs I'd highly recommend it.

I use DEVONTHnk and can link the OF tasks to notes there. Sync is difficult to get set up initially but is working for me now quite well.