The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Occasional lockups on dual-processor machines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniWeb has for some time now been occasionally locking up on my dual processor systems (2x2GHz G5, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MBP). When it locks up, the user interface seems to still be alive, but no new URLs are ever fetched. If I open up a new browser window, the spinner will spin infinitely and the OmniWeb default home page will never load. This makes me think that a separate thread is being used for URL loading and it's either died or is stuck trying to acquire a mutex that will never be released. OmniWeb isn't chewing on the CPU when this happens.

What can I do to help debug this? I do have the full Xcode tools installed. Then again, it might just be easier for OmniWeb to kill itself and invoke the crash catcher if omniweb:/StartPage/ has been loading for 15 seconds or so...

Oh, and I'd be happy to share my OmniWeb plist if it'll help.

Do you have bookmark syncing enabled? If you do, does disabling help with the problem?

Nope, I don't.

I've attached a zip file containing my OmniWeb preferences and a backtrace generated by the crashcatcher. When it hung, I hit it with SIGBUS to get the trace. As I suspected, everything's hung up on a mutex. Can you figure out which one from the trace - or are there enough symbols in the shipped binary to do real GDB spelunking?
Attached Files
File Type: zip OWLockup.zip (15.2 KB, 569 views)