The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb's interface icons Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

first post here. I've been playing with OW's resource files in order to change the appearance of the browser (I do like it a lot, but the icons IMHO look really old). Jon Hicks' work gave me the idea. ;) I've came to a decent result, using the Pinstripe icon set originally made available for Camino.

But there are two things that would bring me to visual nirvana:

- the text in the bookmark bar 1 px bigger

- the icons in the same place a bit smaller

Even if I change the aqua/graphite folder icon (16x16) with a smaller one, it get resized back to 16 px. So I guess it's a value set somewhere in the code of the app, a .plist file or something like that, I don't know. :p
So my question is: is there a way to change the size of both text and icons in the bookmark bar? Nope, mmh? :)
And, I don't know this conflicts with the software's license, if it does and the post gets deleted it's ok, and I beg your forgiveness!

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately you can't change the font at this time but a great idea for the future (Allowing one to customize icons and appearance in OmniWeb is something we'd very much like to do.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Unfortunately you can't change the font at this time but a great idea for the future (Allowing one to customize icons and appearance in OmniWeb is something we'd very much like to do.)
Mmh, as I imagined ;) Thank you for replying. It's nice to see how you listen to users and it's nice to see the amount of great ideas circulating around here! It's added value to your great products.

@Gustomela--

Could you do a request on a set of interface icons? I have the png of the icons, but I'm knee deep in developing some firefox themes, so I haven't had the time to learn my way around omniweb's internals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustomela
Hi,

first post here. I've been playing with OW's resource files in order to change the appearance of the browser (I do like it a lot, but the icons IMHO look really old). Jon Hicks' work gave me the idea. ;) I've came to a decent result, using the Pinstripe icon set originally made available for Camino.

But there are two things that would bring me to visual nirvana:

- the text in the bookmark bar 1 px bigger

Even if I change the aqua/graphite folder icon (16x16) with a smaller one, it get resized back to 16 px. So I guess it's a value set somewhere in the code of the app, a .plist file or something like that, I don't know. :p
So my question is: is there a way to change the size of both text and icons in the bookmark bar? Nope, mmh? :)
And, I don't know this conflicts with the software's license, if it does and the post gets deleted it's ok, and I beg your forgiveness!

Thank you very much.
This is a really good look for OmniWeb. Could you make these available for the rest of us?

This is looking good! Will you make this set available?

Quote:
Even if I change the aqua/graphite folder icon (16x16) with a smaller one, it get resized back to 16 px.
If you supply a smaller icon - 14x14 or 10x10 say, it will get resized, so what you need to do is put your smaller icon on a 16x16 background. does that make sense?

Hi Jon! I'm your fan since... ever! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks
This is looking good! Will you make this set available?
Oh I just took Kevin Gerich's Pinstripe icons from your Pimp My Camino (here) and put them into OW's resources folder! :)

Quote:
If you supply a smaller icon - 14x14 or 10x10 say, it will get resized, so what you need to do is put your smaller icon on a 16x16 background. does that make sense?
It does and that's exactly what I did. I took the arrow icon (13x15) and pasted it on a transparent 16x16 png. But being as picky as I am I just don't like the space around the small arrow. This makes the arrow itself too far from the text of the bookmark's name.
Just my finical obsession methinks... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rserkes
This is a really good look for OmniWeb. Could you make these available for the rest of us?
As I said the icons are from a Camino theme and have been designed by Kevin Gerich. They're not mine! :)
So you can just download them and put in OW resource folder, changing the names to match the original ones :)

Or, if you can wait till tomorrow, I'll upload my own resource folder (plus the bookmark icon with instructions on where to put it), so that you don't have to manually change every icon's name :)

Quote:
I took the arrow icon (13x15) and pasted it on a transparent 16x16 png. But being as picky as I am I just don't like the space around the small arrow. This makes the arrow itself too far from the text of the bookmark's name.
Why not just align the icon to the far right of the 16x16 square? It means that there will be more space inbetween each item (maybe no bad thing), but then it would sit right next the text.

Quote:
As I said the icons are from a Camino theme and have been designed by Kevin Gerich. They're not mine! :)
So you can just download them and put in OW resource folder, changing the names to match the original ones :)

Or, if you can wait till tomorrow, I'll upload my own resource folder (plus the bookmark icon with instructions on where to put it), so that you don't have to manually change every icon's name :)
I'll wait. And thanks for doing this. I really think OmniWeb is the best browser for me but the GUI is a little blah. I like eye candy.