The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feature Request: Delegated vs On-Hold Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I went further in my analysis how to control the projects delegated to my staff. There's an option in OmniFocus to mark such projects as On-Hold Projects. But that is not exactly what it is as these projects are not on-hold, their are still moving by other people.

It looks like the delegated projects should be marked as Delegated Projects not On-Hold Projects. I don't need to see what is a Next Action for a Delegated Project. I just need the result, the outcome of the Delegated Project.

Any ideas?

When I delegate I assign a project of successful completion of $project to a context of the person.

I may have Waiting-For tasks under that project, but I certainly don't track individual tasks for them. I delegated it so that I wouldn't have to do that.

Emory: so you leave delegated project without a Next Action not to see it when in Doing mode?

No, I set the task to On-Hold while I wait for them to do it. It won't show up in my Doing mode because it isn't available.

I have a folder for my direct report and a project in it. I can put that project on hold but I will not be able to find it when reviewing with my direct report because the Find feature doesn't see folders...

If it is a large project, then your role will be to monitor the overall project plan through (probably) a weekly project review meeting. In which case the next action for you would be something along the lines of " waiting for Fred to email xyz project update" followed by actions of "review xyz project report" and "clap/slap Fred on xyz project progress" along with any actions for you that come out of the project review process.

If it is a simple one off task you have delegated then just create the waiting for task on the project with the date you need to Remind or receive an update so it stays out of your way until you need it.

There is a danger that one delegates a project but still project plans it. So there are now two plans (one in your OF and the other on Fred's system). This is wasted effort. If it is Fred's project he should do the planning. You just need to monitor, coach and clear roadblocks.

HTH